Question Details
Seizures In Saint Bernard
by Michelle1 - August 12, 2009
Hi Steve,
Am seeing a 2 y.o. S/F Saint bernard with 1 year history of loose stools aadn seizures- came to me on phenobarb, K+ Br, and Zonisamide with cluster seizures every 10 days and cortical blindness. switched her to a grain-free homemade diet of cod, beef and veggies, added Four marvels tablets and acupncture. her stools are normal now, no yeast infections, but still having a monir seizure every 21 days. She also had a terrible bout of pancreatitis and elevted liver enzymes after the owner gave her a ball of beef fat to get her to take her meds, but all of those numbers have resolved. She is still fairly depressed on the conventional meds, and has lost more weight than I would like despite an excellent appetite. What else can I do to help her? Liver Support Formula?

Thanks!
Michelle
Replies
by ericahawker
August 12, 2009
With the minor seizures and the weight loss despite the great appetite, I would consider Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin.

However, Ban Xia Bai Zhu Tian Ma Tang is useful for cases of recurrent pancreatitis, and lethargy. But these patients usually have weight gains. So I think the TMGTY is probably better for her.

Steve, which formula do you think is better?

Erica
by naturevet
August 12, 2009
Hi Michelle,

Either of the formulas Erica mentioned will help.

Given the number of GI complaints the dog has, I'd go with Ban Xia Bai Zhu Tian Ma Tang. You've accomplished a lot with diet change and SMS, suggesting the case needs only a nudge to become largely seizure free, at which point you could start to reduce medications. BXBZTMT dovetails nicely with SMS - you could use both together if you wanted - and of the two seizure formulas, would be most likely to continue the work you've started on the GI.

S
by Michelle1
August 15, 2009
Thank-you, Steve and Erica... I'll let you know how she does!
Michelle
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply