Question Details
Chronic Eosinophilic Enteritis
by Peggy Lewis - August 12, 2009
I have been treating a 10 yrs. old Shi Tzu with intermittent vomiting and diarrhea since mid-May (symptoms began shortly after we vacc. him)
Health panel and CBC N except for sl incr. Alk Phos.
Giardia SNAP test-Neg.
Fecal flot.-+1 coccidia- trt. w/albonX8 days.
abd. x-rays-WNL, except that int. wall looked subjectively thinkened.
5-26- began trt. for IBD- Luxolite and K-9 Comfort (from vitality science), Metronidazole, Pred. and Eagle Pack Holistic diet (duck and oatmeal)Con't. this trt. for about a month- dog has a couple good days and then, a couple of bad days.
In July, we switched from Metronidazole to sulfasalazine, which did not help.
7-31_ exploratory laparotomy--WNL, except that mesenteric LN felt enlarged and very firm (they felt mineralized) and s. int. felt thickened in areas; stomach and colon appeeared to be normal. Histopath. came back as eosinophilic enteritis
We have con't. the trt. with Pred. and switched to Purina HA diet--which has not helped.
Dog is losing wt. now, is depressed (esp. in the AM and day, better in late afternoon and PM),and has abd. pain (which he has had intermittently)
This week I gave him an inj. of B12 and he is currently hosp., fasting for 2 days, and getting Luxolite and K-9 Comfort several times/day (suggested by Steve of Vitality Science)--seemingly to no avail.
Dog has what I think of as large int. signs --small amounts of stool w/ mucous and blood; incr. urgency; straining to def.;incr. freq. of def.By the way, we have also wormed the dog. Any help w/ this case would be greatly appreciated- thanks.
Replies
by naturevet
November 30, -0001
Hi Peggy,

I don't know if you use homeopathy at all, but vomiting and diarrhea associated with vaccination is indicative that Arsenicum album may help. If the dog is anxious, chilly, thirst and has a low appetite, it's very much worth considering. I use 30C up to three times a day to get control of the situation, tapering to SID or even less often as the patient improves.

Mineralization leading to palpable lymphadenopathy I've seen associated with Blood stasis. Pain, of course, can be due to Qi or Blood stasis, among other things. The symptoms suggest all this stasis and Heat is centered in the colon. The big question is: Is the dog seeking heat or cool areas? Is the maximum beat strength of the pulse easiest to feel with very light touch, or do you have to press in a little to find it?

If the dog is chilly, I would suggest Shao Fu Zhu Yu Tang. It warms the lower burner, moves Qi and Blood, and has an antispasmodic effect on the GI. I would expect the pulse to feel deep, possibly weak, and maybe a little erratic beat to beat. That may not be all the dog needs, but if we're on the right track, you'll see things take a turn for the better at least. This formula isn't listed on the site (yet) but we supply it.

If the dog is hot instead, you may need a formula called Yi Yi Ren Tang, which is not the version we use for lameness, but a different one. Most likely you'll have to make it yourself or, if in Canada or the US, you can get ourselves or Mona Boudreaux (respectively) to make it up for you. It drains Damp, clears Heat, moves Blood and transforms Phlegm.

I would bet one of these two will get things going and start 'pruning branches'. If you re-examine in a week or two, you should see the 'root' of the problem becoming more clear. More than likely a second formula will be needed if and when that day comes, to secure the dog against further relapse.

Please give serious thought to Arsenicum if the 'shoe fits' regardless what Chinese herb you might try.

Steve

by ericahawker
August 12, 2009
Sounds like he has damp heat with the large bowel diarrhea. Any temperature preferences?

San Ren Tang might be one to try. It helps to normalize the stool and stop vomiting. This is a mild formula that can be used long term safely.

I would also try a home cooked grain-free diet for this dog with no carbs--just meat, veggies and supplements to balance it out.

I am sure Steve will also have some great suggestions. Please keep us posted on the outcome, I really hope this little guy does well.

Erica
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply