Question Details
CHF And Seizures
by
Hi Steve,
Opps. I don't think that my first post worked. I'll try it again. I've been lurking on this Forum for a while and finding it very helpful. Thanks. And congratulations on Veterinarian of the Year!
I have a case I'm stuck on.
Buddy is a 12 year old, Maltese cross. He has CHF and is on Vetmedin and Lasix. He has a chronic, soft, dry cough that is worse at night. He also has episodes of seizure-like activity. These almost always occur in the early morning - 1:30 to 5:30 A.M. while he is sleeping. His owner has described them to me. He vocalizes loudly, then goes limp. He is conscious but unable to move, there are no tonic/clonic movements and he always urinates and defecates.
Between episodes he is pretty normal, with good energy. Neither the cough or the seizures are triggered by exercise. Buddy is on the thin side, has a good apetite with no vomiting or diarrhea. He likes to be warm and can be a bit timid.
His tongue is somewhat lavender on top but is red underneath. His pulse is strong, but a bit thin and is wiry.
I started him on Chai Hu Jia Ling Gu Mu Li Tang. This helped with the night time coughing, but not the seizure episodes. I added Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin thinking of Yin deficiency type seizures. This hasn't helped at all and the seziures are increasing in frequency. They used to be every few weeks, but now occur several times a week.
Any thoughts on what I should try next.
Thanks.
Marilyn
Replies
by naturevet
August 12, 2009
The time of onset appears significant. Could the inactivity and pulmonary congestion be combining at night during sleep to create seizures due to cerebral hypoxia? If so, a formula to centrally decongest the dog and increase cerebral blood flow is indicated. I would look at Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang for that.

From a TCM perspective, this is the time of day when Jue Yin (i.e. systemic pressurization; central congestion) is maximal. Again, this would suggest the need for dispersal, making Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang once again a good choice. Ironically, Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin has the opposite effect here, and is more suited to internal Wind due to Yin deficiency states. Even CHJLGMLT tends to counter dispersal.

So for both western and eastern reasons, I'd try Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang. It's generally appropriate for cardiac patients anyway, so it's unlikely to do harm.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes.

Steve
by
August 13, 2009
Wow - that makes sense. I was trying to differentiate syncope from seizure and couldn't think of how they were linked together. I'll give the XFZYT a try and let you know.
Thanks for your help.
Marilyn
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply