Question Details
Hemangiosarcoma
by
I have a 9 yr old black lab 3 months out from splenectomy with 1st treatment with adriamycin. Dog has red wet tongue, pulses are superficial, slippery non extinquishable, and forceful. History of Blastomycosis and Erhlichia years ago, one year of slowly progressive laryngeal paralysis and bark change, severe spondylosis (although doing very well mobility). On his second visit to oncology we picked up 1 VPC (they will be doing echo) and also does not have two distinct heart sounds. Current lungs are harsh,anxious, post chemo febrile episode antibiotic responsive. Owners want to add alt med to treatment; started vit A, diet, Yunnan...considering Bilberry (mentioned in lectures), but not sure of Dang Gui Shao Yao with this presentation. I always have a difficult time with these patients as they have the chemo effects already on board and its effect on TCM examination/picture...
Replies
by naturevet
August 12, 2009
Hi Donna,

Nice to see you hanging out here! I miss seeing you.

Regarding your patient, unusual presentation!

Normally, the goal is to move Blood outwards, but the pulse indicates the circulation already is too 'Yang' or peripheral. I'm guessing that is the cause of the respiratory and cardiac complaints. The goal, then, would be to move Yang back downward, calming and cooling the dog while giving it more energy and decongesting the upper burner.

My top pick for this situation, if I read it correctly, is Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang (Bupleurum, Dragon Bone and Oyster Shell Combination).

I would expect it to have a fairly prompt beneficial impact, and has significant anti-cancer benefits. Once the dog is off chemo, we may need to reassess, but it should be suitable for the next couple of months or so.

Hope this all turns out to be accurate and you get a win here. Please keep us posted,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply