Question Details
CHJLGMLT
by marneemadsen - August 13, 2009
HI Steve-
I am sure we have discussed this at class, but am trying to wrap my head around formulas within the context of our goals of pulling in the circulation or dispersing it.

Since this formula is a modification of XCHT and treats all three Yang layers/stages, why does it not have an overall dispersing effect on circulation? Theoretically speaking?

Herbally? Is it the minerals?

I understand from class and from reading this formula was/is used if purgatives have been used inappropriately, leaving pathogens superficially in channels and Yang Qi confined to the interior. Again wondering why not dispersing...it seems like with the Gui Zhi, Chai Hu and Huang Qin it would be.

Pulses can be variable, or what are we looking for?

Thanks a bunch!

Marnee
Replies
by naturevet
August 15, 2009
Hi Marnee,

You're right on all counts.

The formula is dispersing, but for just a pathogen, not the patient's own (Yang) Qi. It effectively opens a door through all three Yang layers to guide out the pathogen. Inappropriate purging has dragged the pathogen inwards to the innermost Shao Yang layer, creating an obstruction of the Shao Yang.

The Shao Yang mediates the flow of bodily Yang Qi into the body interior, and back out again. When a pathogen is blocking this conduit, it can result in Yang trapped internally, which XCHT treats, or Yang trapped externally, which CHJLGMLT treats. Thus the pulse of patients that benefit is often superficial, whereas the pulse of most XCHT patients is deep and wiry. Despite the dispersing nature of XCHT, which serves to help vent the pathogen, the formula descends the patient's Yang inwards, via its content of Da Huang, Long Gu and Mu Li, to name a few.

Hope that makes things a little more clear.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply