Question Details
Syringomyelia Case #2
by Heather1 - August 15, 2009
I am seeing Melody, genetically related doggie aunt to Harry, for syringomyelia.

Melody, DOB 2/2003 FS Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

History: Grade I/VI left sided holosystolic heart murmur, personality: timid, shy and nervous

Neck scratching began 10/2007 at times of stress and excitement.

Dr. Choi at the U of M diagnosed a Kidney Qi Deficiency and recommended Chinese herbs and a diet change to California Natural herring and sweet potato (also contains oatmeal and barley)

9/2008 I prescribed Rehmannia Six teapills (Liu Wei Di Huang Wan) based on tongue and pulse. No changes for better or worse with this prescription.

1/2009 Diet was changed to what Dr. Choi recommended.

4/2009 I was about to change her herbal fromula to Rehmannia Eight.
T: medium pink to slightly pale, slgihtly white in center, slightly thin
P: good rate and rhythm, medium position, fairly strong

But...5/2009 Melody developed a UTI (staph) with struvite crystals (2+), pH of 8, no uroliths on radiographs of bladder

6/24/2009 until 7/27/2009 Prescribed Hydrangea and Eupatorium .25 ml BID (12 lb. dog), kept her on the Rehmannia Six for the time being. Gradually changed her diet to Wellness Core Ocean Formula...she was on the new diet 100% on 7/14/2009.

7/27/2009 pH of 8.5! struvite crystals 4+, no UTI, DVM prescribed methionine, we discontinued the Hydrangea and Eupatorium.

8/10/2009 I saw Melody. T: medium pink, slightly thick and wide, no coating, slightly lavender and smooth

P: superficial, strong and bounding, thin, slightly tight, wiry

Active points: Pulse softenend when BL40 was sedated and GB points were palpated.

Humidity bothers her, too...just like Harry. She seems to be doing well on her new food. There were never any symtoms of a UTI...the guardian noted a bit of mucous on her vulva in April.

I am thinking she also has a wind and damp heat invasion??

Why didn't the Hydrangea and Eupatorium work? Should I have gone with a higher dosage initially?

What do you think about adding San Ren Tang to Rehmannia Six?
Replies
by naturevet
August 15, 2009
Hi Heather,

I like all your ideas:

Perhaps we needed a higher dose to acidify the urine. Strange, though, the lack of response.

The sensitivity around the neck can signal Wind Invasion, which Kidney tonics won't be able to address. In hindsight, it was probably a Wind Damp that went on to invade not just the Bladder channel, but the Bladder itself. The pulse calls for a dispersing sort of formula. San Ren Tang is an excellent choice.

If there has been a Wind Damp invasion through the Tai Yang (dorsum) into the bladder, the only thing that will help it is a Wind Damp expeller. From a TCM perspective, that may be why the Hydrangea combination didn't work - it drains Damp, as do most Bladder formulas, when dispersing is called for here.

If the Rehmannia Six didn't aid the dog, you may want to take some time off it. The SRT might work better in that instance.

Either way, I'm sure you'll see some benefits.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply