Question Details
Congenital Heart Defect
by
Kalia is a 4 yr old SF golden retriever with a bizarre congenital heart defect who was not expected to live past 2 years (hugh hole in ventricular septum involving valves with reverse flow and tricuspid dysplasia) . she has done extremely well on acupuncture and herbs and enacard- it has been requiring acupuncture every two weeks to keep her stable in the last 6 months. Her main symptoms had been exercise intolerance and cyanosis. Her usual tongue used to run very pale to lavendar to deep purple (when unstable) and pulses thin.

You had helped adjust her herbs from Zhi can Gao Tang to Ling Gui Zhu Gan Tang and her exercise tolerance greatly improved. When she began to cough she responded to adjusted acupuncturing kidney and when she developed slightly moist lungs and abdominal slip she responded to adding Long Don Xie Gen Tang.

where we're at now:
tongue pale grey
pulse floating, thin ,irregular depth almost wirey
active St36
cool ears, feet
increasing episodes of almost syncopy-wobbliness on excitment (psychic even if not physically jumping)
acting needed, clinging in order to calm down enough to recover from episodes,
wakes 12-1 am
losing weght despite increased foot
pulses responded to GV4

adding yuan zhi for now but I feel I need to anchor shen and since I have a heart qi deficiency, spleen qi deficiency, heart blood stasis? and this disconnect, and I'm losing the anchoring connection here in multiple ways- can you suggest adjustment of acupuncture points and herbs for us-

thanks in advance
Replies
by naturevet
January 25, 2009
Its common for long term cardiac cases to become Qi deficient. Stasis interferes with the mixing of Yin and Yang, and the generation of Qi. I'd look at Liu Jun Zi Tang or Si Jun Zi Tang, as well as continued use of the LGZGT.

I'd also start SQ magnesium injections and cardiotonic supplements if they are not on board already.
by
January 26, 2009
I 've got your dose for oral magnesium but haven't seen a dosse anywhere for SQ- can you share??
by naturevet
January 29, 2009
I use 10 mg/kg of MgSO4 diluted 50:50 in normal saline, then injected SQ. Repeat twice weekly.

Good luck
Steve Marsden
DVM ND MSOM LAc. Dipl.CH RH(AHG)
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply