Question Details
Chronic Resistent Cystitis
by Peggy Lewis - August 16, 2009
We've been treating an 11-yr old YorkieX for a chronic resistant cystitis
(E. coli and Enterococcus). Dog has beenparalyzed in her back legs for 7 yrs.-Owner has done an excellent job of caring for her- expresses her bladder often, etc.
dog is in good health except for the cystitis. I believe that we have caused the bacterial resistance by chronic abx use (but as primarily practioner's of Western med. we didn't know of other options.)However, this AM I catheterized the dog , flushed the bladder with saline and then instilled Angstrom Silver. Do you have other suggestions? I have a couple of other dogs w/ similar problems. Thanks for your help--I really appreciate your time.
Replies
by naturevet
August 16, 2009
Hi Peggy,

It sounds like the infection is due to incomplete voiding. You could encourage that by giving Saw Palmetto.

Combining herbs with antibiotics can increase their efficacy. Ba Zheng San and SMD are options if the animal has lots of heat signs.

San Ren Tang seems to help with disc + bladder dogs, with both the nerve damage and 'encouraging let down' of urine. That's another option, and probably the best one +/- the Saw Palmetto.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply