Question Details
Estrus Change,mammary Mass
by todd - August 17, 2009
Dear Steve,
Am seeing an UNspayed female 11yr.old dog with excellent vitality. Heat cycles becoming shorter, less bleeding.Has 2 x4 cm mass in area of mammary gland mid-abd. Has very dry coat, dreams alot,cool feet. Pulse is thin,strong on all levels, lifting.Tongue is pink and slightly dry.Liv 13 greatly eases Pulse, GB25 barely opens it. CV5 moderately eases it. But the tension tends to return in Pulse even as needles remain. Dog has has 2-3 bening skin tumors removed that were feared to be mamm' tumors but were not. T4 quite low and no TSH done.
I would think of a Blood builder and mover such as XFZYT but am not knowledgable for the repro tract Blood builders and movers ....Xiao Yao San appropriate for hormone balancing?? Also concern re: mammary mass Dampness. Any ideas?? Thank you!!! Todd
Replies
by naturevet
August 17, 2009
Xiao Yao San was certainly the first thing that came to my mind for this apparently Blood deficient Liver Qi stagnant female. It has numerous phytoestrogens that can balance whatever state the dog is in - whether too high or too low estrogen levels. I don't see a lot of Damp here, and given that XYS modestly drains it, it should be safe to give it a try.

Good luck!

Steve
by todd
October 11, 2009
Hi Steve,
This dog's estrus cycle respnded wonderfully to the XYS. The owners have found a couple more mammary masses which they asked the surgeon to remove. The masses are B-B sized and the surgeon missed one and only partially got another one. Two were low grade mammary adenocarcinomas--low chance of local recurrance and /or metastasis. I just wanted to check and be sure the phytoestrogens in the herbs don't contribute to mamm' tumor growth. I'm sure you would have mentioned it if so, and I told the owners I would just make sure for mine and their peace of mind.
Appreciated!!! Todd
by naturevet
October 13, 2009
Hi Todd,

Whether phytoestrogens can cause mammary tumor growth is under debate, and has numerous studies both for and against it. I myself have never seen it happen. I guess if the dog looks fantastic, now, you can maybe give the formula a rest if you're worried. I'm doubtful there's a problem, though, for whatever that's worth...

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply