Question Details
Chronic Diarrhea In Kitten
by raustin - August 17, 2009
I have a 12 week old kitten that has had mixed bowel diarrhea (more large though)since owners acquired 4wks ago. Unknown Hx previous to that. He is BAR, increased appetite, energetic and gaining wt. but no resolution of the diarrhea. As soon as he eats, he has to go as well as many other times of the day. Tongue pink, pulses unknown att. Diarrhea was more grey/ beige chunky pieces, mucous, liquid with frank blood and raw and swollen anus. Now no blood and less swelling but still mealy appearance, more light brown, mucous and liquid. Abdo distended and intestines thickened feel. He is not able to hold it in. We have run fecals, giardia, toxo, CBC, Chem, without a diagnosis. Tritrich discussed but not run. Wet food increased the diarrhea, but we have not tried higher protein wet foods yet. Is on probiotics and pumpkin. O really doesn't want to run more tests, but is willing to try chinese herbs...suggestions? I am going to see if she will try raw diet. THANKS
Replies
by naturevet
August 17, 2009
Hi there,

The default diagnosis of young animals is Qi deficiency. Formulas that address chronic diarrhea in young animals are thus often Qi tonics, at least in part. Shen Ling Bai Zhu San (Ginseng, Poria and White Atractylodes Combination) was invented for this kind of condition, and may help this cat. Another option is Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang (Ginseng and Astragalus). Both of these formulas slow peristalsis, favoring assimilation (i.e. the Spleen, in TCM). Processed diets increase peristalsis rates, raw diets slow them, so I'm in favor of your raw idea.

If inflammation is more overt, there are different formulas to use there, but it sounds like the inflammation is fading. Way back when the colitis was more severe, I would have tried homeopathic Arsenicum album, especially if all this came on after a vaccine, and given the history of anal irritation. That may still be helpful, if you're homeopathically inclined and the cat is a sun-seeker.

Start with a low dose of these herbs to ensure they don't aggravate the situation (they are quite strong tonics). If they do, then an anti-inflammatory approach using formulas like San Ren Tang, Wei Ling Tang or Si Miao San is called for.

Good luck with your case. You'll get it solved eventually,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply