Question Details
Canine Lymphoma
by citydvm - August 17, 2009
dog dx with lymphoma- all lymph nodes enlarged- dog active, eats well, no GI problems. now started having halitosis and difficulty due to the enlarged submandibular nodes. I was debating whether to try tan yu tang or go for hoxsey like. please help me make up my mind.
thanks.
Voltaire
Replies
by naturevet
August 17, 2009
Hi Voltaire,

My knee jerk prescription is a combination of Si Miao San, Hoxsey, possibly Xiao Chai Hu Tang, and about 0.1 mg/kg prednisone daily. Tan Yu Tang is a consideration, but is about Phlegm. If the dog strikes you as quite Hot (panting, heat intolerance, thirst, restless at night), the Hoxsey approach is a good way to go.

If we're lucky, Erin Bannink may review this post and let you know what her successes are with Tan Yu Tang, and when she finds it most beneficial.

There's no harm in hedging your bets and using both Tan Yu Tang and Hoxsey. Their actions are sympathetic to each other.

Good luck!

Steve
by citydvm
August 18, 2009
thanks very much, Steve,
and Congratulations to the Veterinarian of the Year!
HUZAHH!
by bannink
August 21, 2009
Hi,

Si Miao San, Hoxsey and/or Xiao Chai Hu Tang are what I usually go to for most of my lymphomas. I have not had much success with Tan Yu Tang yet. I have not used it in combination with a little Xue Yu Tang which may be more effective to help resolve concurrent stagnation and is what I would recommend if you were going to go that route.

My experience with it is probably skewed because most of the cases I have used it with have been pretty advanced...acute leukemia, lymphoma rescue when failed other herbals and/or chemo, or stage IV lymphoma (liver and spleen involvement). I tend to go to Si Miao San first and so haven't used a lot of Tan Yu Tang as first line treatment because so many of my lymphoma patients here in Michigan are clearly Damp Heat (significant increase in LSA in the Spring and Summer here)...history of atopy, chronic otitis, recurrent UTIs, overweight labs and goldens that pant a lot.

That's what I can offer based on my experience here.

Erin
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply