Question Details
Kidney Stones
by meowwmeow - August 19, 2009
I have got a 12yo FN cat which was vomiting for several days and inappetent. Blood tests showed severe azotemia and hyperphosphatemia. It was perkier after IV fluids but still anorexic. I took abdominal radiographs and there appeared to be kidney stones, and possibly some in the ureter as well. One of the kidneys appeared slightly larger (slightly over 3 x L2 length). I have not yet managed to get a urine sample to attempt to identify possible nephrolith type, but has there been any success dissolving kidney stones with just chinese herbs? Thank you for any help with this problem.
Replies
by naturevet
August 20, 2009
Hi there,

Is the urine alkaline? If so, a formula that you can get from Barbara called Hydrangea and Eupatorium should acidify the urine and help dissolve the stone.

If the pH is acidic already and you suspect CaOx urolithiasis, then I would expect formulas like Wei Ling Tang and San Ren Tang to help here, as mentioned in the short course. In addition, potassium citrate can help move calcium out of solution, allowing calcium to then leech from the stone into solution. By itself, it doesn't seem dependable. But with something like WLT (which would have the added benefit of settling the cat's stomach), it might.

Another option, which I don't think works as predictably and for which there is less research support, is to use a 'stone dissolving formula' like San Jin Tang. It contains chicken gizzard as one of the active ingredients, which Chinese medicine credits with stone dissolving powers. If the cat would eat chicken gizzards, you could also feed them to it and see if it helps in some way. Wei Ling Tang has good research support behind it, however.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply