Question Details
Long Dan Xie Gan Tang
by ericahawker - August 23, 2009
Hello!

I am wondering if Long Dan Xie Gan Tang is a strong enough mover to be used on an 8 yr old obese FS Golden with a deep, slightly weak pulse.

She overall appears hot and excessive to me with a very strong odor to her body that returns every 2-3 days despite baths, halitosis, obesity and panting frequently. She also has multiple lipomas and has had a RF lameness for 3-6 mths. Carpus is sensitive on palpation but is normal on films. Great appetite, drinks a lot, prefers cold, licks anus, hx of chronic ear infxns, dreams frequently and has occasional diarrhea. Tongue is bright pink and moist.

This seems the most approriate formula that I can find to address damp heat and also help move the blood. Any thoughts?

Thanks-
Erica
Replies
by naturevet
August 23, 2009
Hi Erica,

It's not hugely strong as a mover. You could look at it, though, as addressing acute inflammation (heat), and assume there'll be a need to follow up with another 'mover' later on. Either that or you may be able to modify the LDXGT. But for now, I'd use the original formula, and test if you're thinking is generally on the right track.

The other option, of course, is to start with something milder like San Ren Tang or Si Miao San. Given the weak pulse, I'd feel better about trying them first. For Si Miao San, I use it in animals that I rate as "Hot, Excessive, but slightly Deficient".

Lastly, if you've managed to track down a chiropractor, have them check the dog's neck. Neck fixations are a common cause of forelimb pain.

Hope that helps.

Good luck,

Steve
by ericahawker
August 24, 2009
Steve, I am a little confused. I initally planned on using SMS, but since it brings blood into the body I thought it would not be the best since this dog already has a deep pulse. I know SRT is milder but does the same action to the blood. That is why I decided on LDXGT. Can you help me?

I guess I will start with SMS first.

Thanks-
Erica
by naturevet
August 24, 2009
LDXGT brings blood in, too, so there's no difference there. If the Blood stasis was obvious, and we wanted to bring the circulation out while using a strong cooling formula, that's when I add Dang Gui to Si Miao San. You may want to consider that,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply