Question Details
HOA In A Dog
by stammdvm - October 7, 2014    View Case Report
I am treating a severe case of HOD in a Great Dane (5 months old). Literature reports likely/possible etiology is “auto-immune disease” (aka vaccinosis in my opinion) since the symptoms began exactly 2 weeks after the dog received DHPP2 and Lepto simultaneously ( NOT from me).

Dog currently on NSAID’s, Tramadol, Amoxi (for possible bronchopneumonia)

Here’s what I have come up with so far:
1. Switch to anti-inflammtory diet (Vet nutritionists are too expensive for client, so went with 50% Origen large puppy /50% Honest Kitchen Zeal)
2. Added Cod liver oil, Tumeric, chinese herbals for pain.
3. Gave Thuja 30 c for 5 days (for suspect vaccinosis)
4. Considering: Standard Process Ostrophin PMG, Califood, Gotu Kola to support inflammation and help rebuild healthy bone
5. Considering Kyosenex thymus extract
6: Likely will wash out NSAID’s then start pred and slippery elm for gastric protectant (vs. Omeprazole)- normally would avoid pred, but I feel this case warrants it.

Do you have any other thoughts on what else I can do help this poor puppy? It is a very sad case . . .
Replies
by jmshoemaker
October 8, 2014
I have treated a similar case with postural rehab to keep uneven weight bearing from causing bone deformities and used rectal ozone for pain, metabolic modulation and clearing of agents of cause, and homotox according to signs for deep organ support, drainage and symptom control. Severely affected puppy is improving.
by stammdvm
October 8, 2014
Thanks. What frequency did you use on the ozone? Weekly, bi-weekly?
by naturevet
October 13, 2014
Hi there,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been travelling and lecturing at conferences.

Given the season of onset; the likely role of vaccination as a trigger (see Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertrophic_osteodystrophy); and the concomitant pneumonia, I would suggest a Minor Bupleurum derivative. I'm wondering specifically about Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang (Bupleurum, Dragon Bone and Oyster Shell Combination) - it's becoming the backbone of our strategy in osteosarcoma, which at least superficially presents similarly. In terms of being anti-inflammatory but preserving or enhancing circulation to the metaphysis, it's a good pick.

I'd do two other things.
1. I'd start Symphytum (homeopathic), to help promote osteogenesis in the necrotic region
2. I'd use Eupatorium perfoliatum (Boneset) tincture for its intraosseous anti-inflammatory properties. I'd give at least 1/2 tsp BID to TID. If the pulse is pounding, you can give it with Hoxsey-Like Combination (Hoxsey and Boneset from NPHC)
Acupuncture to the Triple Burner and Gall Bladder channels of the patient will likely help a lot, too

Hopefully this proves useful advice.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply