Question Details
Itchy, Leaky, Addisonian
by ssilcox - August 26, 2009
Casey is a 4yr old Brittany Span that was adopted last year from the humane society with severe otitis/dermatitis. Initial exam revealed strong, yeasty odour, with foul smelling, inflammed, ears with purulent discharge, and inflammed, scaley, skin with marked alopecia along ventral surfaces.

He was being tx with Vanectyl-P and had previously been treated with Ab/Anti-histamines and food trials. We worked with diet and topical therapies and were able to wean off Vanectyl-P, until he was presented to the hospital with an acute Addisonian crisis.

At that time, in addition to conventional tx from their 'regular' vet, we started Xiao Chai Hu Tang, based on a Dx of Ki Yin Def with false heat.
According to the owner, he has done very well, and is currently maintained on regular DOCP inj and 5mg pred SID.

When owner reduces pred however, Casey gets itchy again and notice increased "doggy odour".

Earlier this summer, Casey developed urinary incontinence dx as cystitis, but incontinence persisted despite neg C&S, so started tx with PPA.
He has now had another bout of cystitis.

I'm wondering if I should be changing his herbal formula, perhaps to Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan? to encompass some of his newer symptoms.
On his exam 2 weeks ago, Casey was found to have a lavender-purple tongue with a light white coating, and deep, wiry?, taught pulses.
Any thoughts?
Replies
by naturevet
August 27, 2009
Hi there,

We've found that Si Miao San also helps with Addison's disease. You can punch it up even further by adding about 30g of Yu Mi Xu, Corn Silk and Stamen. We suspect it's the beta-sitosterol content of SMS and Corn Silk that is having an adrenal-sparing effect. I'd add it to your regimen, and see if you are then able to lower the pred doses. Certainly the ears and ventral lesion distribution support a diagnosis of Damp Heat, which SMS treats. It can also be used simultaneously with XCHT.

Hope that helps!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply