Question Details
MUO In A Dog
by dfarrnaturalvet - November 4, 2014    View Case Report
Hi, Dr. Marsden. I had asked you about Henry last month. He has been diagnosed with MUO and responded well to prednisone and Leflunomide. We have been tapering the prednisone and unfortunately he started to relapse about 2 days ago, so we are bumping the pred back up.

He is weak in the rear legs and his appetite is decreased. Mildly depressed (but who wouldn't be)? Pulse is thin, weak, and rapid. The tongue is pale with a red tip. GB 30, SP 6, and LI 10 improved the pulse.

He doesn't have the kind of pulse I would expect for CHJLGMLT. What about XCHT? Any other suggestions? Thanks
Replies
by naturevet
November 4, 2014
Hi Deirdre,

A reliance on pred can signal a Blood or Yin deficiency. This is more likely if the pulse is weak, and if tonifying points like SP 6 and LI 10 are helpful. But an immune mediated neuro lesion still suggests a Shao Yang disorder, as does the response to GB 30. So I would address both by giving a 2:1 mix of Xiao Chai Hu Tang and Si Wu Tang, which is known as Chai Hu Si Wu Tang. There are many potential benefits in neurological conditions of the formula. I'd give it a try

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply