Question Details
Intermittent RF Lameness In A Dog
by veerled - November 5, 2014    View Case Report
I am seeing a 10 m old male dobermann for front limb lameness. It was intially diagnosed and treated as sesamoiditis, which helped but now we still have a 1/10 lameness which seems to be intractable, motion palpation reveals discpomfort in carpus, which he nurses and there is boggyness in carpus. Elbows look and feel fine. He is also bit retsricted in the neck on left and there are NO signs of neck issues on radiographs. Though he is chiropractically stuck I dont feel he is wobblers or neck dog. He is highly energetic but behvaes very well in consult. I think he is not developping right in back legs and he loves pacing rather then 4 beat gait. He has quite good pulse but I feel it is rather weak for his size, pink tongue. Response to acupuncture in lumbars is quite dramatic but he walked out an awfull lot lamer. I feel like trying YYRT but I wonder since he does not respond to NSAID if I should change tack. Thank you
Replies
by naturevet
November 6, 2014
Hi Veerle,

Some questions:

Why do you think his forelimb lameness worsened with the appointment? Did you adjust his neck at all? Or was there an opportunity to strain the joint?

In what way did his lumbars change with treatment. Did he have spasms there? What points did you use to improve him there?

If the only explanation for the worsening was neck manipulation, then it suggests nerve root irritation from impingement. That would make me reach for Chai Ge Jie Ji Tang. Kan sells it as Bupleurum and Kudzu Clearing Formula.

Did you get details about when the pain is worse or better during various times of day, first rising, continued motion, exertion, and weather changes? That may help narrow things down. For deficiency, Wind invasion, and spasm, NSAIDs provide little in the way of benefit. So it could be any of those three, as well as a persistent chiropractic issue

You mentioned he improved to where he is now with certain treatments. What did you use and what did he used to look like?

If you can advise on the above, I should be able to help you more. But otherwise, if you're sure the joint is puffy; if he was not worse from an adjustment but from strain to the joint; if he had a surprisingly weak pulse; and if there were lumbar spasms; then Yi Yi Ren Tang is an okay consideration

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply