Question Details
Vocalizing And Restless In A Dog
by landauvet@gmail.com - November 17, 2014    View Case Report
Hi Steve,
I have been seeing an almost 15 year old FS black lab who is great health and body condition except...
Last 3 months she wakes up at night and literally brays like a donkey and pants. She seems to settle when fed treats. She stares out of the windows at night in a searching way during these episodes. She is not delerious and can be communicated with. Primary care tried unsuccessfully to treat her with various psychotrophic drugs like silageline (MAO inhibiter),, veterol,, climiprazine. Off of those now.
Tongue is swollen and a bit lavender. Pulse is deep and toned and forceful. Not so sure about active acupuncture points except for sign of triple burner obstructive pattern.. Treated BH, GV-14, yin tang, GB-25, GB-34. Low level laser on anxiety setting.
Treated herbally with XCHT and ZBDHW.
Owner reported no improvement. Second visit 10 days later. Tongue less swollen with a red tip. Pulse was thin and deep. GV-14, BH, GV-4, BL-23, BL-18 treated. Added in calcium and Sang Piao Xiao San. Dog had been on proin for a long time so I had her decrease the proin as I added in SPXS.
Owner reported no improvement to maybe a slight improvement.
Saw her again 10 days later. Tongue pale pink, pulse thin and deep.
Active points not noticeable. Treated: GV-14, an shen, BL-23, yin tang.
I added in New Zealand Deer Velvet thinking about Kid yang and adaptogen help.
No improvement to symptoms. Getting close to considering euthanasia. This dog looks young otherwise and seems healthy.
I am looking for a little miracle, do you have any advice?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Kevin Landau
Replies
by naturevet
November 18, 2014
Hi Kevin,

My first thought when a dog does this is that they have a chiropractic issue at the atlanto-occipital joint. For some reason, affected dogs will suddenly wake in the middle of the night screaming in pain. Panting and braying sounds like it could be related to pain, too. I assume this happens because of some unconscious movement during deep sleep that results in an aggravation of the fixation resulting in tremendous discomfort. I know you've probably checked the dog out already, but I've seen several atlanto-occipital fixations slip by me in the past, if I'm not distinctly and carefully checking for them, relative to the rest of the vertebrae. While you have the dog back, try needling BL 40; if the pulse releases, you are dealing with a Tai Yang (or Wind Cold) invasion causing the acute neck stiffness and pain

Once you've adjusted the area (since maybe you should just do it anyway if they are close to euthanasia), reassess the pulse. If it has become slippery, consider Chai Ge Jie Ji Tang, which may need to be used on a prolonged basis of several months in severe cases. If it is still toned, consider a Wind Cold dispersing formula. Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang should be well tolerated if SPXS was remotely helpful.

Hope that helps you out! You might also just have the owners pick up Valerian root and give it in robust doses if they can't get in right away to see you. It aids sleep and can help relax the musculature of the neck. A response to Robaxin would also suggest the neck is the issue

Steve
by landauvet@gmail.com
November 19, 2014
Thanks for your response Steve. I will check for the neck issue. This dog does not seem painful and is more interested in getting treats than anything when vocalizing. It is also a very queer braying sound that I think I have never heard before. Brain tumor?
Thanks,
Kevin
by naturevet
November 20, 2014
For brain tumors, our initial treatment of choice is Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang

If after 1 am, consider also Wu Mei Wan, if you rule out any sort of neck issue. Lack of pain while awake doesn't rule it out, though

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply