Question Details
MCT Grade 2 Damp Heat In A Dog
by dbrown - November 28, 2014    View Case Report
Hi Steve

"Grizzly" is a 2 yr black lab that has had 2 small lumps removed and confirmed as grade 2 Mast Cell Tumors.

When he first presented to check the lumps I put him on Four Marvels tablets (4) BID, XFHMY topically, and Vitamin A & D. His Tongue was red and pulses were slippery.

At surgery I thought his tongue was slightly better, more pink to red color. The masses were removed. We switched him to a raw food diet.

At suture removal his tongue was back to red and pulses still slippery. I added in Hoxsey Like Formula 1.5ml BID and decreased his Four Marvels down to (3) tabs BID.

I rechecked 3 weeks later and there was only slight improvement in tongue color and maybe a little more tone to his pulse. Currently he is on Four Marvels (4) BID and Hoxsey 1.5 ml BID. Grizzly loves his new diet and is feeling great.

This is a dog that has always had a red tongue on physical exam. He is very exuberant, and it is difficult to check active points on this lab! How long shall I go with this combo and at what point do I change things up if his tongue does not improve? I have never had a MCT in such a hot dog, or at least one that did not at least respond faster to heat clearing herbs. I usually see paler tongues and response to XFZYT.

What is your experience with dogs with damp heat and MCT?

Thank you!
Deb
Replies
by naturevet
December 9, 2014
Hi Deb,

If the pulse is changing, you may be getting there. What points improve the pulse during the visit? If they are Damp Heat points like SP 9, BL 25, LI 11 and ST 36, you should persevere

A slippery or bounding pulse with a red tongue can also suggest a Shao Yang disharmony, where Yang is trapped superficially. The formula for this is Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang, which seems to be a pretty potent anti-cancer formula. This is the formula to use if the pulse improves with tonification of GB related points, like GB 34, GB 25, and BL 19

The dog should fit one of these two scenarios. Either way, Blood movers are contraindicated with a slippery pulse and a red tongue, since the two findings together suggest Blood is definitely moving already. XFHMY is unlikely to have been a problem, however, but XFZYT might have a contrary effect in actually stimulating tumor growth, simply by making blood even more available to any tumors exploiting angiogenesis.

Hope that helps you out,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply