Question Details
Swelling Above Eye
by cchcs21 - August 27, 2009
Lilly is a 6 year old FS Corgi adopted about a year ago from a rescue. Prior history is unknown.

Since adoption her history includes allergies, intermitten urinary accidents in house, a couple bouts of diarrhea with mucus, licking her paws until raw and an eye infection.

The current issue is a swelling above the left eye. It is not associated with the eye itself. It has been present since early June and hasn't improved. It is soft, non-painful and indistinct. Originally the owners thought she was stung by a bee.

Original treatment was benadryl - and cold compresses. No response.
FNA - was not diagnostic, too bloody.

TCM questions:
She has a good appetite but belches frequent after eating.
She will lie on cold floor but doesn't pant excessively or feel warm to touch.
She always has clear eye discharge.
She is happy and active during the day, but dreams at night, including vocalization.

She is fed Nature's Variety Rabbit Instinct with lung treats and fruitables.
Supplements are: probiotics
Meds are: benadryl

The primary complaint is the odd soft swelling above the eye.

Suggestions?
Sandy
Replies
by naturevet
August 27, 2009
I associate paw-licking with Liver problems. Eye complaints fit a Liver issue as well. If the Liver and Spleen are not harmonized, we can have loose stools. Liver Blood deficiency creates the vivid dreaming you may be seeing in the dog. So, all told, that's what I would presume. A safe treatment to try would be Xiao Yao San. But I can't say whether it would deal with the swelling above the eye. I'd be advocating it strictly on the idea that if we take care of as much as we can of the dog in general, we have the best chance of seeing small particular problems resolve themselves.

If it doesn't work, naturally you could think about a biopsy.

Good luck,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply