Question Details
Glomerulonephritis In A Dog
by drjjudkins - December 18, 2014    View Case Report
Hi Steve, I have a case of a 6-yr old lab w/ acute renal failure / glomerulonephritis that I have been managing fairly well so far. The rectal herb trick I learned from you saved this dog's life, no doubt. The interesting thing about her case is that the onset of the problem seemed to be associated with a case of hives, and it has occurred 2 times since.
She has had a pink tongue and a pretty big, toned pulse throughout. Currently she is on you gui wan and LJZT, but Im wondering if
the hives symptoms suggests an underlying immune-mediated condition that should be addressed herbally. Her protein creat ratio initially was 1.7, so I went with tonics instead of XCHT. A few weeks ago her globulin levels went up, so I put her on 1/2 XCHT, but she declined. Now anemic and leaking urine, so thus the Kidney Tonics.
Replies
by naturevet
December 24, 2014
Hi Jeff,

The broad toned pulse probably reflect Wind Damp invasion, the most common cause of hives in Chinese medicine.

The formula specifically for it is Dang Gui Yin Zi, which you may have to make yourself. It should eliminate the hives tendencies, and has constituents that reinforce what your existing herbs are doing in promoting renal blood flow.

Hope that helps,

Steve
by drjjudkins
February 19, 2015
The dog's lyme titer was sky high, so Im assuming this is a lyme nephritis case. Put the dog on doxy for a month, and she did petty well. Appetite still good, but has low energy and no stamina on walks. Lab wk showed HCT of 25%, so Rx, you gui wan 2 wks ago. Now the BUN ( 89)and Creat ( 4.4) are stable, but the HCT is dropped to .. but strongly regenerative.

Her pulse has always been BIG and super taught, but now she has a very pale tongue form her anemia.
I'm assuming I should keep her on the YGW for her kidneys and because of the nice regenerative RBC response, but what do you make of her eExcess pulse? Should I add in XCHT for Lyme despite a low Prot/ Creat ratio of 1.7 (last Oct)? Thanks!!
by naturevet
February 22, 2015
Hi Jeff,

It sounds like you need a bone marrow stimulant there. I find QYT works well with doxycycline in chronic infection/FUO cases. It has a bone marrow stimulating effect, as well as an auto-immune modulating effect. It also fits the wiry pulse and previous skin problems.

It can be paired with XCHT to capture the renal changes. The UPC rule is not hard and fast, if everything else seems to indicate XCHT should be used.

There's nothing wrong with the tonic approach using YGW, but if the pulse is that excessive, then tonification alone will likely not cut the mustard.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply