Question Details
Partial Seizures In A Dog
by Pamela Page - December 31, 2014    View Case Report
Buffy is a 10 yr spayed female standard poodle with current presentation of suspected partial seizures associated with signs of nausea/abd discomfort. The episodes consist of her sitting stiffly in an upright position on the couch and staring blankly, not responding to owner or stimuli. Either just prior or just afterwards, she gags and vomits bile. Has been occurring ever since owner acquired her at 6 months of age, but used to be infrequently, now happens once to twice weekly. Other diverse medical history: A diagnosis of Cushing's disease made about 5-6 years ago based on extreme pu/pd and polyphagia. I'm not sure what bloodwork was done or what she was treated with, Owner reports the blood tests were inconclusive but symptoms resolved with the medication. She received meds for 3-4 years until she started refusing them. They were discontinued about 2 years ago with no return of symptoms, per the owner. She also had severe recurrent otitis externa, non-responsive to treatment, which resolved with a change of her diet to Science Diet Z/D, a denatured protein diet. However, owner supplements her diet liberally with garden vegetables. And she sometimes eats rodents. Otitis has not returned thus far. Finally, last year she contracted anaplasmosis with severe thrombocytopenia. She required prednisone for a long time, and was tapered off earlier this year. Recent bloodwork was all normal. She is a calm, playful dog, except barks aggressively at visitors. excellent appetite, normal bowels,
Thirst had been normal except last week owner noted an increase in thirst, which we will monitor. May have a mild preference for heat. Is starting to get a little stiff. Tongue tends toward pink/red. Pulses are moderate. Usually has borborygmus in my office, but not otherwise, per owner. Has responded very well to weekly acupuncture. Not having the staring episodes anymore, and only has had one episode of gagging. Would like a recommendation of herbs to help support her as well, especially with her wild medical history.
Thanks!
Pam
Replies
by naturevet
January 8, 2015
Hi Pam,

I see two possible ways to go here:
- Ban Xia Bai Zhu Tian Ma Tang: for Dampness and Damp Heat prone animals with nausea associated with seizures
- Yi Guan Jian: for nausea associated with Yin deficiency. It's also the top consideration for thrombocytopenia that requires long term prednisone therapy. To address the seizures, I'd additionally use Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin
Do you do acupuncture? The points that the dog's pulse responds to can guide you as to whether the dog is Damp or Yin deficient.

As well, episodes worse in the mornings or in the summer suggest Dampness. Episodes worse in the late fall, winter and early spring, and in the late afternoons and early morning are more likely to be due to Yin deficiency.

Hope that helps guide you. If one strategy doesn't work after a few weeks, try the other

Steve
by Pamela Page
January 9, 2015
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply. I do acupuncture - would you advise on suggested points for evaluating Dampness vs. Yin deficient? I have noticed that the top of her head is noticeably warm, compared to the rest of her.

Thanks!
Pam
Pam
by naturevet
January 20, 2015
Hi Pam,

If sedating GV 20 improves the pulse, I'd go with Yin deficiency. If tonifying helps, it suggests Qi deficiency, which BXBZTMT helps correct.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply