Question Details
Constipation In A Cat
by kkeeney - December 31, 2014    View Case Report
Hi Steve,

Kiwi is a 15 year old cat that I have been working with for a couple of months intermittently. I am not his primary veterinary as we live in different cities. He came to me for a "holistic opinion". He has a history of weight loss, increased vocalization and PU/PD. His appetite historically has been good and he has had intermittent episodes of vomiting over the past year. His last bloodwork revealed mild azotemia (BUN 37, CRE 2.8) and a total thyroid level of 4.5. No urine was tested (despite my urging to the o to request it). His pulses are deep weak and thin. I wasn't able to see his tongue. He did great with acupuncture (I apologize that I don't remember point details as I don't have his record in front of me.)

His owner is not interested in starting methimazole at this time. She did change him over to a higher protein, wet, grain-free diet. I started the cat on Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan and he has been taking that for about a month.

Last week, he became lethargic and anorexic for a day and then improved. It happened again about 48 hours ago but he is not improving and his owner took him in to discover that he is suffering from pretty severe constipation. He is being treated now (at another clinic) with fluids and enemas and I am not sure what his current bloodwork looks like yet. I haven't been able to actually see him for a hands on re-check of my own yet.

I am wondering if the herbs may have contributed to his constipation. If so, is there a better choice for him?

Thank you as always for this wonderful resource!

Kelly
Replies
by naturevet
January 8, 2015
Hi Kelly,

I agree with your thinking in general, about this cat being Kidney deficient. The ZBDHW may be having a drying effect on his colon, seeing as how it's an acute acting anti-inflammatory. That means blood flow will be pulled away from the mucosa, increasing dryness. I think all I'd do is use Rehmannia Eight (Ba Wei Di Huang Wan) instead.

If he had a red tongue and a racing forceful pulse, then instead of stopping ZBDHW, I'd add in something like Ma Zi Ren Wan. But it seems he's not that hot, despite the history of hyperthyroidism. So BWDHW may be a better fit.

Hope that helps,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply