Question Details
Atypical Cushing's In A Dog
by Dreudog - January 19, 2015    View Case Report
Hi Steve and group,

I treat this 11 yr old MN Lab, who has confirmed atypical Cushing's. Started treating him last summer with Si Miao San; primary complaints were a chronic moderate ^ in Alkp and slight ^ ALT. (both LDDS and ACTH sim from rDVM were normal), decreased energy, thirsty and hungry for several yrs. , possibly somewhat ^ in the 18 most. previous to his dx, when the liver numbers had ^. He is somewhat anxious and a little dog aggressive, mild allergies worst summer. On first exam 2-18-14 he had sl. abdominal dissension, was overweight w/ waxy ears, had rounded liver margins.

On SMS, his energy level improved, pot belly resolved , appetite leveled off. The rDVM said he looked the best he'd seen him in years. As winter approached this yr, I added in Xiao Yao San, since his liver enzymes always has ^ some in winter. He did fine on the XYS/ SMS combo , so I switched him to only XYS around Jan. 1. His pulse was a a bit feeble, deeper than normal on the SMS, so I was concerned about drying him out too much, esp.. w/ our MN winters. Thought the XYS might have more indications for atypical Cushings as well? The owner feels his appetite may have ^ a little, but otherwise no big changes w/ the herb switch.

Yesterday, he had an acute onset of abdominal pain, with fever and vomiting food. His rDVM saw him on emergency; unfortunately no labs or X-rays were done. The dog has had 3 previous bouts of possible pancreatitis, with similar symptoms, ^ cPLI, etc. He was given fluids, antiemetics, antibiotics and is much better 24 hours later.

So, even tho' he had no diagnostics this episode,I'm wondering if this could be related to the XYS? Or at least that we didn't prevent another episode w/ this herb. He was off the SMS and on full XYS ~ 2 weeks before this episode.

I don't have his very old records handy, but his 2012 bout of abdominal pain was in December.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks much,

:)Cathy
Replies
by naturevet
January 20, 2015
Hi Cathy,

I don't think the XYS is likely to have caused that symptom, but as you say, it didn't prevent it. When you suspect SMS is too drying, you can always add 20% Dang Gui. That way, you don't have to lose the benefits of SMS in preventing acute inflammation, such as might have occurred here.

Also, response to SMS is a strong clue that the dog's main problem is dietary, and that a home-cooked or raw diet will provide the preventive value the owner is seeking. Has that diet switch been made yet?

Lastly, for this latest episode, I do wonder about Wu Mei Wan. 'Tis the season for acute gastric inflammation. Digestive Tonic made by NPHC for horses is designed similarly and may work for you in the same way as WMW.

Hopefully those ideas will help

Steve
by naturevet
January 20, 2015
Hi Cathy,

I don't think the XYS is likely to have caused that symptom, but as you say, it didn't prevent it. When you suspect SMS is too drying, you can always add 20% Dang Gui. That way, you don't have to lose the benefits of SMS in preventing acute inflammation, such as might have occurred here.

Also, response to SMS is a strong clue that the dog's main problem is dietary, and that a home-cooked or raw diet will provide the preventive value the owner is seeking. Has that diet switch been made yet?

Lastly, for this latest episode, I do wonder about Wu Mei Wan. 'Tis the season for acute gastric inflammation. Digestive Tonic made by NPHC for horses is designed similarly and may work for you in the same way as WMW.

Hopefully those ideas will help

Steve
by Dreudog
January 20, 2015
Thanks, Steve,

Yes, he is on raw diet for quite a while. Maybe the addition of the dang gui would improve his pulse some. I'll study both and decide.

Very much appreciated.

Cathy

PS, Is there a way to set up a daily digest from the site? I don't read on Cured cases nearly as often as I should, and if the info came in as email, I'd have no excuse!
by naturevet
January 21, 2015
Great idea! I'll work on that.

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply