Question Details
Anal Gland Adenocarcinoma
by doris - August 29, 2009
Hi Steve,
Hello, it's me again.
I have a client with a 10yo bichon just found out to have anal gland adenocarcinoma ( only FNA was done ) . ultrasound scan was done and showed metastasis to spleen and lymph nodes. Since the original vet said there was no point to surgically remove the tumours due to the malignancy, this owner came to me for alternative treatment.

This dog had canine distemper when it was young. It recovered well and is quite healthy since.
It is eating well and lively. It's pulse was strong, floating and slippery. The tongue was really purple. It prefers to stay in cool environment.
I think this dog has severe Blood stagnation, secondary to chronic Damp-Heat.

I suggested the owner to give it meat and vege diet with Vit A, E and omega oil supplements. I put it on Si Miao San and Ling Zhi at the moment. What other herbs would u recommend for removing the Blood Stasis?

It is a 11 lbs dog, what is the dosage of herb should I start with? Should I go for a higher dose due to the severity of the disease?

By the way, just a quick question about skin problem. As you have said it ususally takes months to improve skin problem, how long of the treatment period and the maximum dosage I should give before I can say the treatment is ineffective?

Thank you for your advice.
Have a good day.

Regards,
doris
Replies
by
August 29, 2009
I read this and had a couple thoughtd on the adenocarcinoma. Since the dog is so stagnant with slippery pulses, I usually combiine Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang with 1d gm ea E Zhi and San Leng per 100 gm base. The dog may prefer cool due to Damp Heat, so you might add Si Miao San. Dose is usualy 0.5 gm/10 lb div BID. Make sure to change the diet to minimal to no carbs, raw is good but be careful if Spleen is weak. Antioxiants, medicinal mushrooms and fish oil are helpful too. If the patient is more chilly, you can substitute Shao Fu Zhu Yu Tang for the base.
Jodi Van Tine, DVM, CVA
by naturevet
August 29, 2009
"What other herbs would u recommend for removing the Blood Stasis?"

There's another case on this site of anal gland adenocarcinoma, that is now into its ninth month or so, at least. It's being maintained on Hoxsey and Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang. I've found the latter to be the most effective blood mover for anal gland tumors. I think that dog is also on Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang to deal with the abdominal malignancies.

"It is a 11 lbs dog, what is the dosage of herb should I start with? Should I go for a higher dose due to the severity of the disease?"

If using multiple formulas in a fairly desparate (i.e. disease condition rapidly gaining ground) case, I use full doses of each formula. So, for this dog, probably 1/4 tsp BID of each of the above, at least. Maybe throw in a third dose, until you know things are stabilizing. Then I slowly back down the dose as things stabilize, or the tumor shrinks. So you'll need something tasty to mix them all in.

"By the way, just a quick question about skin problem. As you have said it ususally takes months to improve skin problem, how long of the treatment period and the maximum dosage I should give before I can say the treatment is ineffective?"

You should be able to demonstrate some improvements at each recheck. If not, you need to change your formula. Improvements include changes in pulse, tongue, points, lesion count, odor, amount of scale and anything else you can objectively measure, in addition to the usually highly subjective perception of the owner. It may be six full weeks of treatment before the owner is aware of a slight reduction in itch, but during that time, other things (such as the traits mentioned above) should have improved in your eyes already.

Good luck!

Steve
by doris
November 12, 2009
Dear Steve,
Hello.

The dog with the anal gland tumour is not doing well with the treatment.

It is now on on Ge xia Zhu Yu Tang (3/8 tsp bid), Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang (3/8 tsp bid), Hoxey-Like Formula 0.15 ml bid , SiMiaoSan 3/8 tsp bid) and Vitamin A, C, E and Zn supplement with essential fatty acids. I also put it on Barf's meat base diet.I started it on the herbs on the dose as you have suggested initially but the dog was not responding and tumour kept growing bigger with time, then I increased the doses as was stated above from late October.

Unfortunately, the dog was coming in to see me today as the anal gland tumour was burst with an open wound! The size of the tumour was doubled. The sub-lumbar lymph nodes were enlarged so much that I could easily palpate them and I could feel the pulse as when I laid my hands on its abdomen.

The tongue of the dog was still purple with a slightly red tip.Overall, the pulse was not as slippery and the femoral pulse was obviously weaker and deeper on the left hand side.

I have suggested the owner to bring the dog in for acupuncture but they declined. What else can I do now?

Looking forward to hearing your advises. Thank you for your kind attention.

Regards,
Doris
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply