Question Details
Hyperthyroid, BM Suppression
by marneemadsen - September 1, 2009
Hi All,
Louie is 14yr MN DSH. Presented to reg vet 7/6/09 for wt loss and ravenous appetite, but would not eat.

Labs: TT4 13.1, WBC 1.5, HCT 27, Platelets 71, K+ 3.7, TBili 0.6.

He had tested positive for FIV 5-6 yrs ago, but not retested recently, no symptoms.

They started methimazole at 2.5 mg BID, he received depomedrol and amoxi while labs pending. Started eating better.
At recheck on 8/3/09: TT4 13.1, HCT 32, WBC 1.5 platelets 51, K+3.7 TBili 0.2.

His methimazole was increased to 5 mg BID.

He continued to be somewhat interested if can opened, but unable/unwilling to eat much. I saw him shortly after that.
T= pale, wet tongue (was eating treats, so wet part not totally reliable)
P=thin and wiry.
Active pts: BL22S best, BL 18, BL20S, GB27.

Had some hx of disc pain, Spleen issues, UTI with stress, FBH. Stools good, occasionally dry. He was a little full feeling in middle jiao.

Started B12, San Ren Tang (worked great in last hyperthyroid cat) XCHT+QJ. He improved for a week, now quite lethargic past couple of days. Sent him back for labwork yesterday:

TT4 10.9
WBC 0.6
HCT 17
Platelets 33
K+ 3.5

Stopped methimazole -
I was a little afraid to tonify pathogen if FIV is starting to become active, but thinking now Bu Gan Tang or BZYQT? I do think the steroid injection helped for a while.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Marnee
Replies
by naturevet
September 1, 2009
Hi Marnee,

My thinking is to give him something that still addresses the Yin and Blood deficient hyperthyroid state he got himself into, at the same time as we support his bone marrow. My first thought is something like Yi Guan Jian, or else the Bu Gan Tang you suggested. I use Yi Guan Jian a lot for bone marrow suppression. Homeopathic Ferrum metallicum is another favourite of mine. Also, Gui Zhi Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang for advanced Yin and Blood deficiency. This would be especially appropriate if the pulse was quite superficial and weak. Remember we use it for critical anemia and advanced hyperthyroidism, both being conditions where Yang and Yin separate, damaging Qi, and weaknening appetite.

I'm seeing a lot of anemic cats lately, by the by. Anyone else having the same experience?

All the best,

Steve
by Nate Heilman
September 1, 2009
Marnee,

Nice to recognize a poster. Perhaps Steve can comment on this question. In a case like this, would it be wise to roll in astragalus, and potentially ginseng into GZJLGMLT? The reason I ask is that I haven't had much luck raising PCVs with Liver Blood and Kidney Yin tonics alone, but astragalus seems to shine with low RBC, WBC counts. I've had a few anemic clients lately with healthy cats. Anyone else seeing this? These people are edgy....

Nate
by naturevet
September 3, 2009
There'd be no problem adding Huang Qi into the formula (Astragalus), or even Dang Gui and Astragalus. If you do that, the ratio between Astragalus and Dang Gui should ideally be 5:1.

Good luck!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply