Question Details
Bilateral Stifle Arthritis In A Dog
by drakedoc - March 11, 2016    View Case Report
Sorry, just figuring out how to post cases again so forgive me if I entered Lucy twice.
14 year F/S lab
Current complaint: severe bilateral stifle arthritis with deformed, bowlegged posture. Actual quite mobile given the severity but she is stiff and weak by the end of the day (she lives at a preschool and walks around all day).
Hx skin allergies which improved with diet change to turkey Honest Kitchen (dehydrated diet) and added cooked veggies. Ears worsen after the switch and she has a resistant Staph in her right ear that recurs whenever she comes off meds.
HX extremely elevated ALP (>2200), mild elevation ALT. Normal ultrasound.
Has mucus on top of stool, loose at the end for 1 BM every other week.
Tongue thin, cracked. Color ok, if anything tiny bit pale. Pulse deep, wiry.
Very happy, friendly, mentally alert. Slightly overweight.

So she she seems to have Damp Heat (ear, stool), Blood Stasis. I am concerned about TBO given the pulse and ALP elevation. I wanted to use SMS and Xiao Chai Hu Jia Qin Jiao Tang. I had the SMS but had to order the other so I started SMS alone. Within 3 days she was weaker and stiffer. I suspect I either cooled her too much or pulled the blood away from the chronically inflammed joints and wish I'd used SRT. I told her to stop the SMS of course. Should I just start with the XCHJT and see how it goes? I started a diet trial and new med (mupirocin) for her ear and its looking better.
This is a long post for just a question. Am I putting this in the right place? Thank you
Replies
by naturevet
March 14, 2016
Hi there,

I like your idea of trying out the XCHJQJT. About the only thing it may not catch is any Dampness tendencies (manifesting as improvement on an unprocessed diet and as mucoid stools). Still, it won't aggravate Dampness, so it's safe to proceed. You can also add in the San Ren Tang, as you suggested, to capture those Dampness symptoms

I would think with these two formulas you should be able to accomplish something. Let us know how it goes!

Steve
by drakedoc
March 16, 2016
Thank you so much Steve I will let you know as I recheck her. Kathy
by drakedoc
March 29, 2016
On recheck 3/28/16 her ear infection has completely resolved. The increased weakeness that she experienced with Si Miao San resolved off of it. Her mobility is about the same, perhaps slightly better. Her itch has improved, she is now exclusively on a home cooked fish and potato diet. Tongue pink but on the pale side. Deep pulse, softer and less wiry than last visit. San Ren Tang was added to help with her Dampness tendencies. Benefits Hips and Knees continued. Recheck scheduled for 1 month.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply