Question Details
Seizures In A Dog
by DWT - April 13, 2016    View Case Report
Hi Steve,

I am working with a 5yr., m/n, Golden Retriever for seizures. He will be normal for 8-9 weeks and then will start to have cluster seizures that will last for 2-3 days and then will be another several days until he returns to normal. The seizures will last about 2 minutes, followed by a post-ictel phase of 30-45 minutes and then have another seizure. He has gone as long as 72 hours with this pattern. During the 8-9 weeks in between he is perfectly normal. Season does not seem to have an effect. During the seizures he is in lateral recumbency, tonic/clonic, heavy ropey saliva drooling, unconscious and will loose his urine.

He is a very friendly dog but his caretaker describes him as very sensitive to environmental energy (owners arguing, etc). He does have anxiety. He has a damp hair coat, prefers warm, normal appetite and water intake. His tongue is pink, normal size and ropey saliva. His pulse is normal depth, good tone and slippery. He is on a fresh, raw diet.

I have only done acupuncture on him a couple of times as they are very busy people. I started him on Ban Xia Bai Zhu Tian Mang and this did not seem to help. I added Dr. Xie's Di Tang Tang with the BXZTM but this did not seem to alter the presentation as well.

I am perplexed by the interval period with these cluster seizures and hope that you might give some guidance from your perspective. Any ideas for herbal treatment would also be appreciated. Thanks.
Replies
by naturevet
April 19, 2016
Hi Dennis,

Given the contributing role of Dampness and Phlegm, but the lack of results when it is the focus of treatment, I suspect the dog has a Shao Yang disharmony. Given the anxiety, I would suggest Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang as the treatment. It should descend Yang while draining the Damp that is an instigating factor. It can be paired with Long Dan Xie Gan Tang for a stronger effect, if needed, but I'd try it alone first and see if you impact the seizure pattern at all.

Lastly, when Dampness does not respond to a raw diet, there may be an actual food allergy. You may want to consider an elimination diet or some other form of food allergy testing. Jean Dodds' approach, for example?

Good luck. Please let us know how it goes. Any break in the pattern will be good news, and tell us we're on the right track, even if progress is gradual

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply