Question Details
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia In A Cat
by Delia - April 14, 2016    View Case Report
Hi Steve et All

I have a new patient that came in with a dx of CLL. Emma is an 11 yo female spayed DSH. She is both FIV and FeLV neg. She was seen initially at the conventional vet for limb pain and swelling. Blood work showed increased WBC due mainly to lymps at around 29K. She was dx last month with immunophenotypeing with CLL.
Current BW
LYM- 36K
MONO - 5.8 K
O reports waxing/waning limb swelling on different limbs. Patient will limp on the effected limb during these events.
On PE she was very bright and alert. Pulse was thin/def.
Her tongue was pale pink, fairly normal kittle tongue. BCS is 5/9. She has had no weight loss/v/d.
O reports appetite is ok. In the past she has been a voracious eater. Stools are normal.
No other health problems in the past save for one possible seizure event 5 years ago.
She appears to have some heat seeking behavior, likes to lie in the sun and on the couch.
She is on a good, high quality commercial diet. Her owner tried a home cooked diet but she wound not eat this or a commercial raw diet. O is going to try making a raw diet at home.
The kitty is not on any meds at this time.
Any thoughts on herbs for this kitty?? She has some signs of damp in the past I think with the increased appetite? He pulse seems a bit efficient, but she was really wiggly during that part of the exam.
I did speak with an oncologist at Idexx. She couldn't think of any reason for the limb pain/edema as LN appear WNL. She did recommend check rads and an abdominal ultrasound.

Any and all thoughts/advise would be so appreciated! I will hopefully see you this summer in Vermont!!

Thanks
Delia
Replies
by naturevet
April 19, 2016
Hi Delia,

This case is definitely behaving like a pathogen invasion. Does the swelling involve joints? The soft tissues? or is it whole limb pitting edema?

There are a lot of possibilities here. Success has been reported on this site for CLL using Minor Bupleurum with added Tian Hua Fen, and an additional Blood mover or Blood tonic

On the other had, Astragalus has been used to advantage, and is part of a formula for pitting edema

Let me know what you found in your kitty

Steve
by Delia
April 21, 2016
Hi Steve,

I asked the owner to explain the leg swelling more in depth - her response is below! Thanks so much

Delia
".... To answer Dr. Delia's question about Emma's leg problems...it does not seem to be the joints that swell up. It seems to be more of a lumpy swolleness that is either a small area on one leg almost like a reaction to a bee sting, or most of the leg looks puffy and odd (lumpy). Sometimes it hurts her a lot and she won't put any weight on it at all, and other times she just limps a bit and holds the leg up occasionally. Sometimes it seems like it itches because she will bite/chew at it like she's trying to scratch an itch. Sometimes it lasts just a day, sometimes it lasts for 3 or 4 days. It involves all 4 limbs randomly (only one at a time) and always fully resolves on its own. I thought it was triggered by chemical exposures (it seemed to coincide with me using Nature's Miracle stain & odor remover to clean up a mess, but the last several times it happened, I hadn't used any cleansers at all so I'm not sure ... I did have the windows open and I do get chemical odors inside from neighbors using pesticides or automotive stuff or who knows what else.)
I have also noticed that she gets a bit lethargic and her appetite decreases when she has the leg problem."
by naturevet
April 24, 2016
Hi Delia,

I guess I would start with Qing Ying Tang. It deals with Wind invasions (and therefore shifting lesions) causing pruritis and swelling. It has herbs in it that have been helpful in leukemia

It seems a good place to start. After a few weeks, re-evaluate the cat in person. If there are no changes in the leukemia, a brand new evaluation of tongue, pulse, etc. should tell us what to do next

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply