Question Details
Seizures In A Dog
by raustin - April 22, 2016    View Case Report
Hi there,

This patient is a 3yr, FS, Black lab mix that started having seizures in November. Seizures happen monthly. Often times 2 in the same day a few hours apart. Can be late evening or morning. Possible promodrome of not being herself, more wide eyed, klingy to one person but stand offish to others in the house. Vomits and drinks a lot of water after the seizure. Post Ictal phase can last 15minutes and also include pacing and decreased vision. BW is normal.

Original presentation - nervous but likes food in room, BCS 6/9, Tongue - Edges thin and dark pink, center lavender; red underneath. Pulses - deep, forceful, fast. Good coat quality, neutral temp to trunk and paws. Soft paws. Warm ear tips, Nose moist and warm. BL20 active.

Started on Calm Repose 1000mg TID and O changed diet to homecooked and raw. O notes calmer demanor in behavior, but no change in seizure frequency or duration after 2 months of herbal treatment. While on herbs - tongue is similar but at times in room is wider and thin. Pulses still deep and forceful, no vessel tone and normal - thin width. She is burping after receiving the herbs.

I am stuck with the next herbal approach. Am I missing dampness/phlegm in my diagnosis?
Thanks.
Rachel
Replies
by naturevet
April 24, 2016
Hi Rachel,

There are a number of possibilities to work through there, but the timing suggests a Jue Yin excess syndrome is the cause of the seizures. Essentially, stasis in the lower burner causes Yang to rebel upwards, creating thirst, vomiting, late-day to early morning seizures, and seizures worsening at the winter solstice

We've started managing these cases by combining Qing Ying Tang with Wu Mei Wan. To the latter we add 20g of Tian Ma (Gastrodia)

See if that helps you out at all. Otherwise, let us know how things change.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply