Question Details
Fearfullness In A Dog
by equinesportsmed - June 22, 2016    View Case Report
Cooper is an adult miniature Aussie who has always been fearful and anxious. He is from a puppy mill that is known to breed fearful and aggressive dogs (was raised in a basement, poorly socialized). He is very sensitive to noise, in particular thunder and the high pitched buzzing of insects. He is particularly terrified of mosquitos. He is easily stressed in social situations, prone to frustration and outbursts, and doesn't deal well with any kind of change in his life. He doesn't like closeness, either from humans or his canine companions. His owner is a trainer and has done the best she can with managing his issues, but wishes he could have more joy. He tends to be hot (seeks cool spots), has a voracious appetite, moves around a lot at night and when he does fall asleep, sleeps very deeply and awakens with red eyes. Cooper has no physical problems that we are aware of-- owner is meticulous caretaker, has blood work yearly, feeds high quality raw diet.

I have ordered a homeopathic remedy made from mosquitos (!), but am also wanting to try TCM herbs. The only formulas that I see fitting from Dr. Marsden's book are Si Wa Xiao Feng Yin or Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang. The fearfulness and noise sensitivity seem to be associated with blood deficiency. I actually have not examined this dog yet-- owner feels he gets so stressed out by new situations, she is reluctant to bring him in. Does anyone (Steve?) have thoughts on this weird case? I think right now, the worst problem is his fear of mosquitos.
Replies
by naturevet
July 4, 2016
Hi Karen,

The dislike of closeness suggests Liver Qi stagnation, which in itself is a Liver 'weakness', in the sense that the Liver is the organ of confidence and 'putting oneself out there in the world'. If the Liver (or Wood) is weak in that sense, then Metal is strong, which in excess is the element of controlling variables, disliking change, building walls, and hiding away.

Other elements that support this picture:

• eye redness, common in Liver Qi stagnation and secondary Stasis Heat;

• restlessness at night; when Liver Qi is most internalized

• secondary Stomach Fire, which can occur with Stasis Heat or even primary Liver Yin deficiency, and causes an excess appetite

Liver Blood and Yin deficiency is the main cause of this picture in dogs. Given the appetite, I'd suggest Liver Yin deficiency.

The formula to consider is Yi Guan Jian. It will work slowly over a few months IF the owners also get the dog onto an unprocessed meat and vegetable diet.

There are other considerations - Xiao Yao San, for example - but I'd go with YGJ first, given everything you've mentioned

Hope it helps,

Steve
by equinesportsmed
July 4, 2016
Thanks Steve-- it's a fascinating case. I did a consult with a medical intuitive friend, and she felt there were emotional issues left from past life experiences-- like being a bombing victim. When I worked with client (using a highly edited version of what was learned), it resonated to the point that she burst into tears. I have sent the dog home with a combination of low potency homeopathic remedies that he muscle tested for. I think she would be open to adding an herb on to that-- her other two dogs have done very well on the herbs-- same owner as Lily the mystery dog, who is still doing great on just Six Gentlemen. Her dogs have always (since with her) eaten an appropriate high quality raw meat diet.
by jschell
August 30, 2016
Hi,
I have had a few patients that seemed a bit too weak for raw. Once the owners started cooking their home prepared recipes the dog's appetites were more satisfied and generally felt better, more able to learn, control their anxiety.
Julie
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply