Question Details
Arthritis And Spondylosis In A Dog
by cellohood - July 20, 2016    View Case Report
Sam is a 10 yr old M/N Frenchie with a long history of sensitive stomach, congenital vertebral malformations & IVDD. He's had a couple of disk surgeries & his ataxia seems to be well controlled on dexamethasone q 48 hrs. He also has significant elbow arthritis.

I've been working with Sam for over a year and have been treating him for a Kidney Yin, Stomach & spleen deficiency. I usually treat him every two weeks & he's been on Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan. He's been fairly stable until his referring vet finished her Chi course & has been practicing on him (I'm sure this is just a coincidence). Now he is having more problems with his front end & having some fecal incontinence.

Today his pulses are wiry, his tongue is red & he's pretty hot. The Chi folks have recommended Di Gu Pi, which seems to be a good idea if he's progressed to Bony Bi. My question is should we add Di Gu Pi to the Zhi Bai or use instead of, or is there a better option?

Thanks!!
Replies
by naturevet
July 30, 2016
Hi Kathy,

My thought is that this dog has a persistent Tai Yang and Wei Qi invasion, causing both the GI and the neurological signs, and that to remedy both will require an expulsion of the pathogen. Such a condition would fit:

• Simultaneous worsening of forelimbs and continence, both of which are likely due to nerve impingement

• The persistent need for dex, which does not expel pathogens, but rather drags them inward with its bitterness, thus perpetuating the problem

• Elbow arthritis, which is often linked to a Tai Yang pathogen

Formulas that spring to mind include Huo Xiang Zheng Qi San, but also Yi Yi Ren Tang (given the elbow arthritis). The latter can be augmented (if in granular form) with Yin Chen Hao (Capillaris) to make it more cooling, anti-inflammatory, and anti-arthritic.
Without the elbow, and if the GI were a top concern, I would use HXZQS first
Note that chronic neck fixations can masquerade as elbow osteoarthritis, but not of course if there is palpable thickening
The other formula that springs to mind for spondylosis and arthritis, but not as much GI complaints, is Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin
So those are three options for you. I hope that one of them works

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply