Question Details
Bleeding From Urethrotomy In A Dog
by citydvm - September 17, 2016    View Case Report
Urethrotomy done on a 9 yr old male intact dog for urotlith removal. the dog still has blood in urine and blood droplets from the urethrotomy site after 2 weeks.
would Yunnan be a good try for this? anything else for this one?
dogs tongue is red/slightly purplish in the center but not dry, and pulses have finger lift.

Thanks for your help!
Replies
by bannink
September 20, 2016
Yunnan Pai Yao can help to stop post-surgical bleeding so, yes, that would be an appropriate treatment. I'm attaching an article on Yunnan Pai Yao which, interestingly, lists transurethral resection for prostatic removal in people as one of the specific indications. The article has good information on Yunnan Pai Yao.

http://www.itmonline.org/articles/yunnan_paiyao/yunnan_paiyao.htm

Erin
by citydvm
September 20, 2016
Thank you Erin. Is there any points I can needle for this - I'm thinking spleen points....
by citydvm
September 20, 2016
Thank you Erin. Is there any points I can needle for this - I'm thinking spleen points....
by naturevet
September 21, 2016
Hi Voltaire,

Generally, the acupuncture points that influence circulation in the perineal region are located in the sacrum. Look for some hot spots here and put a needle in the centers of them. If you can't find any, I'd at least needle BL 27 and BL 28.

The pulses suggest there is Blood stasis causing the bleeding. A formula that helps Blood stasis in the perineum is Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang. It is safe to use with Yunnan Bai Yao. Modified versions (NPHC, Kan Essentials) contain Turmeric, which can act as an anti-inflammatory without compromising the healing response.

Hope that helps you out!

Steve
by citydvm
September 22, 2016
Thanks Steve, I will start acupuncture today. I will look into the XFZYT.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply