Question Details
Malignant Acanthomatous Epulus In A Dog
by Kiwivet - September 22, 2016    View Case Report
Buddy is a 5 y.o., m/n, golden retriever. ; I am looking for best Herbal treatment options and success stories for treating without surgery or radiation! We are wanting to try this before he has partial mandibulectomy. If someone has had success. How long before we start to see the tumor get smaller? Thank you for your advise!

Lesion is 1 inch; affecting the rostral mandible; incisors and left lateral canine tooth.

Pet is being weaned onto Darwin's CS (cancer support) raw food; but will cook it lightly.

Vitamin D levels pending.

Acupuncture: GV14, BL 17; GV 20; ST 36; LI 10; LI 4; BL 40

Pulses: thin and thrill (turbulent) superficially; more toned with deeper pressure. (I did not notice a change in pulse with needling and am struggling to recognize active points)

Tongue: lavender

Earth personality; friendly but a little timid in strange surroundings, BCS 7/9;
Replies
by bannink
September 22, 2016
Hi Kimberly,

Acanthomatous epulis (now usually called acanthomatous ameloblastoma) is a benign tumor. They are locally destructive and can get very large but to not metastasize. These can be cured with complete excision, which does require rostral mandibulectomy. But most patients do very well, particularly in rostral locations like this one. I know the idea is scary to many owners though. I'm a little confused about the terminology they gave you here so if this is some other variant, then maybe behavior is different?

I've treated a few acanthomatous ameloblastomas (acanthomatous epulis) with herbs after excisional biopsy (which removed gross disease but not underlying bone) and have had some good success, although the patients I have treated had pretty small tumors to begin with (smaller than this one). I haven't done too many though because I usually have a long discussion about high cure rate with surgery, which is ultimately less expensive, especially for a 5 year old dog that will likely need to stay on herbs for life to prevent recurrence if there is success. So most of my clients have gone to surgery.

Having said that, the two patients I treated after excisional biopsy did experience good long term control (a few years before I lost track of them). There was no gross tumor when we started so I can't tell you how long until regression. But I'd say if the owner is committed to going that route, as long as the mass isn't growing I'd continue with therapy. I usually tell people 3-6 weeks before a response is seen, but the tumor should not continue to grow at the same rate it was before starting herbs. I'd just be careful and monitor very closely so they don't wait too long that surgery will have to be more aggressive in order to remove all the disease if they are open to doing surgery if the herbs don't work.

I used Modified Xue Fu Zhu Yu tang in both of these patients. And with the tongue and pulse you are describing here, suggesting blood deficiency and blood stasis, that should be a good fit. One of the patients had some early regrowth about 6 months later (as best I can recall) and was showing signs of blood deficiency, so I just added Si Wu Tang to the protocol and we achieved disease control again. I find that many of my patients on long term blood movers like XFZYT do eventually need more blood tonification once the stasis is resolved. So, that's my n=2. FWIW.

Let us know how this guy does. I'd be interested to know.

Erin
by Kiwivet
September 23, 2016
Thank you, Thank you, Erin! So, grateful for your prompt, thorough and helpful reply. Buddy came in to see me today and the tumor is noticeably growing by the week. We discussed the information you provided and client feels that partial mandibulectomy is indeed the best option at this stage of Buddy's tumor development.

Kim
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply