Question Details
Vomiting In A Cat
by DWT - September 27, 2016    View Case Report
Hey Steve. I have been working with a 16 ye., DSH cat that has a long history of asthma and GI problems. She had an acute bout of pancreatitis two years ago, had ultrasound and stomach tube placement. She had liquid diarrhea for months following the episode. Her stool improved on metronidazole but continued to be soft. She vomits food regularly with clear, ropey saliva. She was put on an inhaler for her asthma several years ago and has to have it twice a day to reduce the coughing. She recently had a full panel done and urinalysis. The UA indicated low normal USG but had a two plus protein that suggested mild glomerulonephritis.

Her vomiting has continued and now she vomits several times a day, mostly within 30 minutes of eating (vomiting not regurgitation). She has poor energy, her tongue is pink with a clear coat and pulse is deep and weak. I put her on San Ren Tang and it did not help the vomiting. I added some Rehmania 8 to help the kidneys and it made things worse. I stopped the Rehmania and it helped but she still vomits and it is getting worse. She went to the regular vet and he started Cerenia that has controlled the vomiting. He wants to put her on prednisone but I believe that will compromise the kidneys and other things and looking for other options.

Her bowel movements are soft and stinky and she is gassy with smelly flatulence. She belches regularly. She has now developed a dermatitis on the face that is erythematous and itchy. The regular vet is treating with L-lysine. She seems to have some heat patterns but the San Ren Tang should have addressed this. I think she is too deficient for SMS but was hoping for some help from you. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Replies
by naturevet
September 30, 2016
Hi Dennis,

I think I would look at Wei Ling Tang, or Chu Shi Wei Ling Tang, for this cat.

Wei Ling Tang supports the Spleen and Stomach, which from a Chinese point of view in turn support the Kidneys. The formula does have a biomedical basis for reducing renal inflammation and we have used it successfully in some CRF geriatric cats. The Chu Shi version is anti-inflammatory to the skin. Additionally, WLT derivatives fit the past complaints of the cat: chronic vomiting, pancreatitis, and diarrhea. As a tonic, it is safe to use in elderly frail geriatric animals

A history of 'roving inflammation' strongly suggests the diet is the core problem here, however, limiting what we can expect from any herbs and drugs until the diet is changed. Food processing appears to be the main issue in patients like this, rather than the presence or absence of any ingredient. Freeze-dried, raw and homemade diets generally are candidates for arresting systemic tendencies to inflammation. I would avoid raw for now in this cat, though, given the weak GI function.

It's even possible that if you changed the diet, the SRT would then start to work more appreciably. But if the cat is at all chilly, I'd still consider trying WLT or its derivatives.

Hope that helps,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply