Question Details
Vestibular Disease In A Cat
by plewis - October 12, 2016    View Case Report
I am the third vet. To see this cat, who is a 4 yr. old DSH MC. He used to be outside a lot. Mid-July the cat was seen for acute onset of severe ataxia, horizontal nystagmus, not eating or drinking. He initially had pus in his left ear and had a head tilt to the left.No diagnostic testing was done. He was treated with an injectible cephalosporin and dexamethasone. He was hospitalized for over a week to provide fluids and supportive care. He has gradually improved, but has been on Pred. Every other day since then. When owner tries to wean him off, his ataxia and ability to function worsens.Henow gets a long fairly well,but falls if he is running and turning. His tongue is pink. I can,t tell about his pulse--I have difficulty in cats. I was wondering if you have any suggestions. Thanks a lot --I can,t tell you how much I appreciate you and your website. Peggy
Replies
by naturevet
October 12, 2016
Hi Peggy,

For July onset of ataxia, we generally get good results with Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang. It is available as granular extracts, or as a Kan Essentials product (Settle the Yang). It should help with the nausea and immune stimulation, yet have an anti-inflammatory effect on the 8th cranial nerve. After a week or two, try reducing the dose of pred again and see how reliant he is on it anymore.

Note that for doses, I generally use much higher levels than those recommended by Kan. There's a full dosing table in my text if you have it.

Hope that helps you out!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply