Question Details
Hind End Weakness In A Dog
by LJH - January 3, 2017    View Case Report
Hi Steve,
I've acupunctured this 14 yr F(S) lab x for the past 1 1/2 years and she has generally done well. She had an episode of vestibular syndrome a couple of years ago and still has a slight head tilt. She is hypothyroid, stable on meds and has occasional issues with cystitis ( gets cranberry extract). I tried her on SRT when I first saw her as it seemed to fit tongue and pulse but it caused vomiting. When she started to "sink" in the hind end when standing still and had a couple of fecal incontinence occurrences ( still goes for an hour walk and is eager) I tried Rehmannia 8 combination but it was too warming for her , so we changed to LWDHW. The fecal incontinence hasn't recurred and the "sinking' improved. We had tried DHJST but it too seemed warming and after only a couple of days on a very low dose she had an episode of teeth chattering. At the time I considered BZYQT but was concerned it wouldn't address any Damp and didn't know if it's immune stimulation would be an issue with the hypothyroidism. She did well, but six months ago she developed issues with perivulvar fold dermatitis and heat intolerance so I added SMS to the LWDHW and Protandim she was on and both improved significantly. Recently, however, her hindend weakness is worsening again, no fecal incontinence but "sinking" when standing still for very long,, her appetite is reduced and her general balance even on the front end is a bit weaker. She has never had a great appetite for breakfast but it is becoming a challenge to get supplements into her and she no longer eats her homemade diet well so owner is adding commercial canned. Her tongue is slightly pale pink and pulse is a bit weak, slightly thin, and sometimes a bit slippery other times a bit wiry. Mobility wise she does best when I needle BL 18, 23, 25, 40, St 36, GB 34. I can't get LWDHW as tablets or teapills, and owner has trouble filling capsules with granules. I feel she needs SP as well as KI support, but also something that addresses the Damp/Damp Heat tendencies she has. I was wondering about ZBDHW, which I can get as tablets, but the tongue and pulse don'tseem to really fit, or Six Gentlemen to help with appetite? Is BZYQT an issue with hypothyroidism, and if not,could it be used along with a Damp/ damp Heat formula like SMS? Any suggestions you might have would be very appreciated. Thank you again for all of your help and hope that 2017 proves to be a good year for you all, Llewanda
Replies
by naturevet
January 3, 2017
Hi Llewanda,

For sure you can consolidate the SMS and LWDHW into ZBDHW, which you can get in pill form from Kan/Altvetmed. It was my first thought as I started to read the case

The pulse you describe can be seen in Stomach Yin deficiency, Yang Ming and Blood deficiency (all of which can be concomitant and are somewhat synonymous). This condition, in turn, can be an extension of the original Yin deficiency you've been treating, and can be associated with poor appetite in the mornings.

So I'd wonder about Yi Guan Jian used in addition to the ZBDHW. The Blood tonification may help the limb strength and circulation a little. I always look for chiropractic lesions in these dogs, too

Hopefully these ideas help you out. Happy 2017!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply