Question Details
Raw Diet Recommendations For Dogs And Cats (canada)
by DrLaura - February 1, 2021
I’m sure this has been asked several times before. Just wondering about species appropriate balanced diets available in canada (Ontario) and how do we address the concern over grain-free being an issue with respect to cardiac related concerns.
Thank you
Replies
by naturevet
February 1, 2021
Hi Laura,

The FDA has officially cleared 'grain-free' as having any role at all in producing cardiac disease. Indeed, some of the trials where they corrected the cardiac issues with diet utilized grain-free diets successfully to do so. In a word, then, the grain-free issue is no more

For frozen raw diets in Canada, I favoured Instinct by Nature's Variety; Spring Meadows; and even Primal. We fed our own dogs Pets Go Raw for years. Companies and foods are always changing, but I believe these companies, especially the first three, follow AAFCO guidelines in producing their foods and have a high safety rating (with no recalls).

I know there are homemade diets available for home delivery in Ontario as well, for those that are reluctant to use raw diets

Hope that helps!

Steve
by CorinneC
February 6, 2021
Hi Steve,

Just chiming in here to see what you think of Carnivora? I’d like an honest opinion from you as I have fed this product for years to my pets. I always thought it was a decent product but I’ve started to wonder in the last few years if that’s still true as I lost two of my cats to heart disease at 5 and 6yo last Fall. Also my present dog has developed a lot of lipomas this past year at 8yo. Raw food is really pricey in Victoria but I’m willing to switch if Carnivora isn’t the best.
by naturevet
February 7, 2021
Hi Corinne,

I don't have a lot of direct experience with Carnivora, but their concept of using an entire carcass to make a raw food diet seems sound. It is the best way to avoid nutrient imbalances, such as between calcium and phosphorus. Looking at their chicken diet, the fat content is a little lower that some others on a dry matter basis, but still substantial, which may be all that is needed to drive the formation of lipomas. Whole food made from lean carcasses may be better for preventing lipomas.

Note that raw diets don't seem to work that well for Shao Yang disharmony patients, which tend to have more leaky gut, systemic immune hyperactivity, and dysbiosis. Shao Yang disharmony, in turn, is a common cause of cancer, suggesting these three biomedical factors may have an important role to play in tumor formation. If that is the case, raw diets don't particularly help. I don't think they particularly hurt either, but in these animals, sources of fermentable carbohydrates and soluble fiber are critical to help seal the gut, calm the immune system and correct dysbiosis. This can be achieved by augmenting a raw diet, or by using another diet that has them already included, such as some freeze-dried diets

Hope that helps?

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply