Question Details
Chronic Pruritis In A Basenji
by Holly Gibson - February 2, 2021    View Case Report
Hello Dr. Marsden,
I submitted a case last week - chronic pruritus in a basenji - but I am not seeing it when I click on forum. I can find it under my cases but there is no response. I also submitted a question that same day about protein and fiber in foods and that comes up with the response.
What did I do wrong?
Thank you and sorry for the confusion!
Holly
Replies
by naturevet
February 3, 2021
Hi Holly,

If people enter the case first, there is currently no way to then link that case to a question, but it's something we'll add if we revamp the site. To remedy this for you for now, I've gone into the database, found your case and linked it to this forum thread, so people can see the animal we're talking about by clicking the 'view case report' link above. In future, just click the 'ask a case question' link that you can see above to start entering and then get help with a case.

Regarding Ford, the lack of response to and slow deterioration from a raw diet suggests the animal is not Damp, so we can rule out those formulas. The exception would be, I suppose, if he is very Spleen deficient, in which case the raw diet could be aggravating. Then Chu Shi Wei Ling Tang can work, by strengthening the Spleen enough that the raw is digested properly, such that Dampness isn't formed and skin lesions resolve. I don't think that is going on here, though, since you haven't been seeing any lesions apart from the hives. Still, it's something to keep in mind.

Wei Qi deficiency arises from Spleen Qi deficiency, and is a consideration given the hives, but immune suppressants used long term ultimately can really aggravate these cases, and you haven't seen that.

That leaves Shao Yang disharmony. XCHT is the formula for that EXCEPT that it almost never works unless used with a Blood tonic. I use a 2:1 mix of Xiao Chai Hu Tang to Si Wu Tang. XCHT alone, without the SWT, can actually aggravate these dogs, since it's practically only adverse effect is to aggravate Blood and Yin deficiency. It appears you saw that here.

What could cause the adverse GI signs, if not a Spleen deficiency? Shao Yang disharmony can be associated with that. It traps Yang in the Yang Ming, creating Heat and inflammation in the Stomach and Intestines, particularly in Blood and Yin deficient animals. If that is a recurring feature of this case, then maybe use Yi Guan Jian as your Blood tonic instead of Si Wu Tang, and use XCHT and YGJ in a 1:1 ratio

Hopefully this helps you out! Please let us know how it goes!

Steve
by Holly Gibson
February 4, 2021
Thank you so much! I will start XCHT with YGJ and keep you posted!
Holly
by Holly Gibson
April 4, 2021
I updated this case but I do not see it going onto the recent questions forum. How do I get it to become active again?
Thank you!
Holly
by naturevet
April 4, 2021
Hi Holly,

When you have a question about this dog, just use the forum. I appreciate the case updates, but because not everyone with an update has a question, the forum is separate. This question and replies are linked to your case, however. If you click 'view case report' at the top of the blue section, above, it will take you to the associated case.

I'll go there now to read your update. To add more info to this thread in future, just either (1) find this case among your personal cases, and then click 'read question and replies' at the top of the page; OR (2) find this thread in My Questions above and add to it.

Regarding that aggravation, a Shao Yang disharmony can certainly create colitis. So it is a differential here. If things are getting balmy where you are, try adding in the Si Miao San first (without stopping the other formulas). If he improves, great, then you know the direction you're heading in. The reliance on a small amount of carbs to maintain weight is a feature of some Damp dogs.

If the SMS doesn't help, consider Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang to help cool the GI and calm the dog for a few weeks. Continue YGJ at the same time. After that,once the colitis and behaviour issues have calmed down, a return to the XCHT and Yi Guan Jian may work better to completely resolve skin issues.

Note that if the YGJ doesn't really stop the colitis from coming back (which was a big reason for using it, then maybe switch Blood tonics to Si Wu Tang, which may help more with the skin at least.

If the SMS doesn't help and it's still quite cool and dry, then it is a microflora disruption that is perpetuating the problem. CHJLGMLT will help wtih that. It likely just won't go away on its own on a low carb diet. To remedy this:
(1) Try adding in a probiotic. Lactobacillus of some type is my top choice. I would give a LOT at first; and (2), consider something like sweet potatoes as a well-tolerated carbohydrate source that can help the dog maintain its weight while also supporting Lactobacillus. Lactobacillus has immune suppressing activity that helps control systemic hypersensitivities, but is 100% reliant on fermentable carbohydrates for it to thrive in the GI and help balance the immune system.

Hope all that helps! Remember, for more questions, use the forum. I'm glad you saw success thus far. Thanks for updating the case, too!

Steve
by Holly Gibson
April 7, 2021
Thank you so much! I will keep you posted.
Holly
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply