Question Details
Dermal Histiocytic Sarcoma In A Dog
by LisaR - February 4, 2021    View Case Report
Hi Folks
I have a 6 year old M/N Labrador with chronic skin issues. This started as dermatitis with MRSA at @1yr at adoption. He cleared up well with antibiotics, homemade diet and herbs. After 3years, he started up again with pruritus being main complaint, with secondary traumatic dermatitis. He started forming nodular lesions last summer. Neither cytopoint, pred, nor apoquel seemed to have much effect. I put him on Xiao Chai Hu Tang and Si Wu Tang in November, and the pruritus improved quite a bit. He had another drug resistant culture in December, and RDVM biopsied and found histiocystic sarcoma. They saw the oncologist last week, who is sending out the sample to another lab as Willie had no liver or splenic involvement, and he was suspect that Willie would still be around 6 months in with this diagnosis.
So, he was started on Lomustine, pred, and supportive care. After 5 days, he was showing significant improvement, nodules are demonstrably smaller, etc. I will see him again in the next week.

The pattern will have changed with the chemo. Can I put him on herbs appropriate to the new pattern, or stick with ones for the pattern before chemo, and can I do this whilst on chemotherapy?

Thanks,

Lisa
Replies
by naturevet
February 7, 2021
Hi there,

If the dog didn't respond to immune suppressants, then the most likely explanation for the response to XCHT plus SWT last November is that he was Blood deficient. Blood deficiency leads to Blood stasis and tumor formation.

I think the first strategy is to go ahead with Modified Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang (which possesses augmented anti-cancer effects) while continuing Xiao Chai Hu Tang. I've seen this combo work in other histiocytic sarcoma cases. Either XCHT or Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang, depending on whether the dog's pulse is deep (calling for XCHT) or more superficial (calling for CHJLGMLT).

I think it's okay to proceed with this formula, even though it addresses the dog prior to being on chemo. If chemo produces a lot of side effects, then your role will have to switch to one of supporting the dog's system against the onslaught. If, on the other hand, the chemo is well tolerated, you can probably continue to target the origin of the tumors from the Chinese medical perspective

Steve
by LisaR
February 8, 2021
Thanks, Steve.
by LisaR
February 15, 2021
I thought I would give you an update. Willie's histopath was reviewed by an oncology board as he was at 2x life expectancy for histiocytic sarcoma. This was confirmed.

As he is 7 months out since nodular lesions started, and he is 4 months not dead, I thought I would post my treatments. In June, I started Xiao Feng San for intense pruritus and skin infections secondary to trauma. In late July, I switched to one of Heiner Fruehauf's Gu formulas (Serpent Pearls), and made a topical herbal spray for a resistant bacterial dermatitis. Nov 1st, I switched to Xiao Chai Hu Tang, Si Wu Tang, and nettle tincture. I had the best results for pruritus and inflamed skin with this, but the nodules persisted. He has been on a homemade diet for 3 years. He has acupuncture every 3- 6 weeks.

I saw him last week, and as pulse was deep, I did go with the Modified Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang and Xiao Chai Hu tang.

Lisa
by naturevet
February 16, 2021
Excellent. Thanks for that synopsis. Congratulations on your success thus far!

S
by LisaR
September 1, 2021
I wanted to update and ask a question. Willie is doing ok. He is 6 months into chemo and herbs. He is currently still on the Modified Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang and Xiao Chai Hu Tang and high pred doses. His original chemo was CCNU. He was switched to doxorubicin, but had such severe GI issues, it was discontinued after 2 treatments. He was given a 2 week break, and then recently started on Palladia. Around the time of starting Palladia, he developed "eruptions". They are 2-3mm well circumscribed nodules in his paw pads. He has also started to slough parts of the pads. Simultaneously, he developed lesions on his oral mucosa and tongue, but these are red and also raised and well circumscribed. (They are actually a bit pearly, like tapioca granules. He was incorrectly diagnosed with petechia by the RDVM. (normal platelet count, etc). The oncologist is concerned that this new, almost miliary, pattern is possibly new histiocytic sarcoma lesions. I wonder about a drug reaction.

So... I am having difficult with the pattern for the new lesions. I think knowing he is on chemo is clouding my judgment. The lesions are red and raised, but not petechia. So, the heat is not in the Xue level, correct? His T is dark red and dry, with a cleave in the HT area. Pulse is deep, wiry, with some tone. (the tone is less than in the past). He still has larger urine voids (pred), and stools are formed without a lot of odor. (not heat?)

With XCHT and M-XFZYT, I have movers and crackers, but are the heat clearing herbs enough of a percentage of the whole? Should I add something like Jin Yin Hua or Lian Qiao?

Thanks for any insight,

Lisa
by naturevet
September 2, 2021
Hi Lisa,

Qing Ying Tang is actually a Shao Yang formula as well, although not discussed as such in modern texts. It has the two herbs you're thinking of in it, is a cooling formula, fits the pulse, supports the moving of Blood, and as stated, opens the Shao Yang. I would roll it in here and see what happens, as the pulse suggests extreme Heat and a need to move the Qi and Yang outwards. In other words, the pulse and tongue suggest Stasis Heat, which is what QYT is all about. I'd give it a try

Steve
by LisaR
September 2, 2021
Thanks, Steve. I'm comparing the XCHT and the QYT, as far as the Shao Yang pattern. The QYT is the major heat clearer, and the XCHT has some tonification properties as well as harmonizers. So, by "rolling it in" here, am I correct that I should just add it to the other 2? And, if so, would I need to tweak doses, or can I add the QYT at full dose? (I'm comfortable with 2 formulae, but adding the 3rd makes me a bit less confident)

Lisa
by naturevet
September 2, 2021
I would use full doses of all three. I don't think you'll see problems but let me know if you do

S
by LisaR
September 2, 2021
Thanks, will do.

Lisa
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply