Question Details
Hemangiosarcoma Multi Centric Cutaneous In A Dog
by pindvm - February 24, 2021    View Case Report
10y old Pitbull, maintained 3 months on herbal and AP, destabilizing. Given 4 months a year ago. On Yunnan Biao, Xue Fu Zu Yue tang, stasis breaker, Wei Qi booster, vit D 1000 IU SID, liver daily. added Max’s and mushroom complex recently. All masses have grown, LN all now involved( were not two weeks ago). Petechia ventral hasn’t changed. Slow at the end of walks, appetite good, wt stable 4/9BCS. Pulses weak and deep, soft, not fast, not tight, Right hard to find. Should I take her off something or is it just Spring pushing it?
Replies
by naturevet
February 26, 2021
Hi there,

I have yet to see an HSA case that is not a Shao Yang disharmony case, which means using Minor Bupleurum at the very least, in addition to the other things you are doing. Blood movers can theoretically be problematic, since they drive Blood outwards, Qi and Yang along with it. The risk to life here is that Yang energy will move outwards and escape due to a lack of functional Blood and Yin from the bleedouts. So, the order of the day, is internalizing Yang, tonifying Yin and Blood, so you can generate Source Qi.

If that logic is correct, XFZYT and Stasis Breaker might be problematic. If you're not comfortable stopping those, then at least add in a whopping dose of XCHT. I would think Max's formula is expendable, since it is a nodule softener more suited to, say, lymphoma than HSA. So if you need to stop something to make room to start the XCHT, that is what I'd pick.

Lastly, the only mushroom that works is Yun Zhi (Coreolus) and you need large doses. A Time to Heal makes the whole herb extract. I would give at least 1/2 tsp BID of Coreolus.

If you stop the XFZYT, you need Dang Gui and San Qi to tonify Blood while continuing to combat the tumor from an angiogenesis perspective. A Time to Heal has those single herbs, or you can use HSA Compound from them, and cover all those bases, including the XCHT base

Hope that helps you out! You're doing well to have made it this far!

Steve
by pindvm
March 1, 2021
I asked too late. Suzy went weak then into respiratory arrest on Friday and passed at home. I’m guessing a bleed. They didn’t tell me until after.

So the Tx for Hemangiosarcoma would be HSA Compound - Xiao Chai Hu Tang plus Dang qui and San Qi, plus large doses Yun Zhi. What’s a large dose? Does it matter if it’s cutaneous or internal? I maintained another case for years on Stasis Breaker, and Yunnan Biao, and Gui Pi tang as needed.
But this one was different. I missed it.

Thank you for the help. I didn’t realize Stasis breaker and ZFZYT would drive Yang and Qi outward. What types of tumors is Stasis Breaker appropriate for? And what mushrooms for those tumors?

Thank you again! Your explanations really help me understand.
by naturevet
March 4, 2021
Hi there,

Hemangiosarcoma, like your collapsing dog case you just posted, is a Shao Yang disharmony problem. The Shao Yang organs (GB, TB/H or SJ) are supposed to internalize Yang (against its will, so to speak) to where it can integrate with Yin and generate Source Qi. The Tai Ji symbol of oriental medicine depicts this basic alchemy of life. When the Shao Yang is functioning to excess (or the gate is stuck closed) Yang is trapped in the interior, producing problems like CHF, hip dysplasia, skin allergies and CCL tears. When the gate is stuck closed with Yang on the exterior, it is free to leave, producing the risk of collapse and death.

A huge factor determining whether Yang stays in our body is how much Yin we have. In hemangiosarcoma, animals bleed out. Even though the blood may still be in the body, it is non-functional and just pooling in the abdomen, chest or tissues. At that point, we might as well not even have it. A critical imbalance is produced, aggravating a problem already existing because of the sticky gate. When Yang moves out each day, as it is wont to do, now there is no Yin to attract it back in that evening. Meanwhile, it has problems moving into the body anyway due to the rusty Shao Yang gate, so it just turns around and leaves, causing the animal to die.

The ideal treatment for HSA, then, harmonizes the Shao Yang, internalizes Yang, and tonifies Blood/Yin. We've put that all in a bottle by combining Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang with Dang Gui. San Qi is added for its anti-cancer and hemostatic effects, as well as Dan Shen for its anti-cancer and Blood moving effects. To tonify Blood, you need to move it.

We use this combination in all cases of HSA. You can obtain it from Nate and Therese at A Time to Heal. In addition, we use Yun Zhi (Coreolus extract). Other mushroom extracts do not appear to have a protective effect against HSA, based on a case series Erin Bannink and I have compiled.

Regarding dosing with Yun Zhi, we use a third of the amount that we give of HSA Compound. So, for an animal getting 1 1/2 tsp of the latter, they would receive as well 1/2 tsp of the former, twice daily at least. Others use the commercial standardized extracts of Coreolus, but there is reason to believe the active ingredient in Coreolus is enhanced by other components in the whole herb (meaning mushroom) extract.

I didn't design Stasis Breaker and don't use it, but it seems geared towards emolliating nodular masses, clearing Heat and moving Blood. So, something more like lymphoma or perhaps a fibrosarcoma.

Regarding your prior diagnoses, I have had the occasional HSA case respond to Blood tonics alone, too. I can only assume that by treating the Yin half of the Tai Ji symbol, I was balancing it enough to overcome the tendency for Yang to leave, despite any sticky Shao Yang gate. Perhaps the latter wasn't too severe in my patient either, so I ended up being successful.

Regarding when to use what mushrooms, I'm not really an officianado of those, so I can't say with authority. The evidence for Coreolus in HSA is compelling however, but only when used in high doses.

Hopefully this answers your questions! Better luck next time. HSA is always hard and luck is always a factor, since the tumors grow and spread so rapidly, and bleed so quickly.

Steve
by pindvm
March 5, 2021
Thank you so much. I will contemplate gates. I always appreciate your knowledge.
by pindvm
March 5, 2021
Thank you so much. I will contemplate gates. I always appreciate your knowledge.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply