Question Details
Chronic Renal Disease In A Dog
by equinesportsmed - April 13, 2021    View Case Report
Wyatt Earp is a 12 year old MC Mini-Aussie with a history of occasional seizures, persistent positive Lyme, and recently diagnosed stage 2 renal disease. I am consulting long distance, so am unable to assess tongue and pulse, but he runs hot, and occasionally gets brief joint pain flareups that respond to a short course of carprofen. My theory is that chronic borreliosis is causing joint issues and glomerular inflammation-- he had a pretty severe proteinuria when we started in early March. My goal was to support kidneys while hitting the Lyme. I began treatment with XCHT plus Jin Qiao on the idea it would hit all the bases. Lots of other supplements, plus diet change to fresh food. His recent bloodwork shows reduced BUN and Cr numbers, and a UPC ratio just outside of reference range at 0.6 (was over 2). Here is my question... in other chronic Lyme cases, I tend to alternate XCHT and Clear Spiro over a long period, like 6 months. I am concerned about dropping the XCHT because the dog seems to be responding well to it. Should I give both, but pulse the CS every other month, or go ahead and alternate? High blood pressure also an issue for this guy-- conventional vet has him on BP meds, with benazapril he still was at 170, now vet put him on amlodipine. I have owner starting RxVitamins CV formula for the extra hawthorne, but wondering whether there is a classical formula that hits this as well.
Replies
by naturevet
April 15, 2021
Hi there,

There is no problem in using Clear Spiro at the same time, without stopping XCHT. There is a synergy between the two formulas, in that they together treat both the Tai Yang and Shao Yang, helping to fully expel the pathogen.

Amlodipine often works best in more Qi deficient animals. Since Clear Spiro has Qi tonics in it, it may help bring the BP under control. For now, I'd see what happens with the two formulas on the other symptoms, then come in later with a hypotensive, if the BP isn't already improving and requiring less amlodipine to control it.

Hope that helps! Good job so far!

Steve
by equinesportsmed
April 15, 2021
Thanks Steve— should I go half doses if using both together? Are they that synergistic?
by naturevet
April 15, 2021
I wouldn't cut the dose of the formula that has gotten the kidneys this far, no. I don't see anything unsafe about starting with a full dose of Clear Spiro either.

Keep the possibility of switching to a Kidney tonic in the back of your mind, if the azotemia doesn't fully resolve, or makes a slight resurgence

Steve
by equinesportsmed
April 15, 2021
Great, will do! Thanks again!
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply