Question Details
ST-35 Deep Needling Causing Joint Pain
by CIVTdvm - April 28, 2021
Hi Dr. Marsden,
Any chance you have any recommendations for me? If an acupuncture needle causes joint pain that wasn't previously there...is it likely that the needle penetrated joint capsule and caused inflammation only or should I be concerned about possible infection too. No obvious blemishes, no fever, no chills, but intense joint pain that keeps me up all night. Acupuncture was five days ago and no pain during treatment; it started approx. 24 hrs later and progressive pain since?
My treatment was ST-35 medical and lateral, bilaterally. My Dr had never used those points on me before - was treating me for gastritis and medial ligament discomfort (left knee). On insertion it did not hurt but felt he went deeper on the lateral side - as if needle slipped under patella upon placement. I am resting with ice which helps, taking NSAIDs, applying arnica but still considerable pain - no obvious swelling though. I never had any knee joint issues before either.
as an aside - good to know about possible similar complications for pets and what your experience and advice is regarding this issue.
Thanks in advance!
Replies
by naturevet
April 28, 2021
Hi there!

Well, that's disappointing! I needle ST 35 a lot, but expect it to eradicate knee pain, not cause it!

ST 35 generally needs to be sedated and Xi Yan tonified, to get the right effect, so maybe local inflammation has become aggravated due to a change in blood flow. Otherwise, I'm guessing it's not infection, maybe just an irritated nerve ending.

Can you get some homeopathic Ledum, like the one pictured in this link? Grocery stores that sell herbal therapies like Whole Foods will have it. It's also available online. Boiron is in Canada. It may help a lot in settling the discomfort down. Whether infection or irritated nerve, it should help

Steve
by CIVTdvm
May 26, 2021
Hi Steve,
Thank you kindly for your reply.
No infection thankfully but I feel that it may have slipped and injured the meniscus when I shifted my hip once on each side during the treatment (because I have a tail bone injury) - I did not know the needle was in my joint otherwise I would have not moved no matter what, etc. I hope that it's not a long term or permanent damage - it has been truly frustrating.
Can you clarify if you do typically instill the needle deep into the joint ? My acupuncturist said he intentionally seeded the needle and inch into my kneecap - is this typical?
The intense joint pain went on for 3 weeks. Now intermittent. I just got this message today (an month later unfortunately (busy with a toddler at home)). I will try Ledum, thank you for the recommendation I appreciate it so much!
by naturevet
May 26, 2021
Yowch! No, I don't put the needle in the patella, just into the joint. I do try and go deeply. It is tricky to find the 'sweet spot'. If the needle doesn't feel right to me and there is too much resistance, I just pull out and go shallow.

I suspect the angle might not have been correct if a ligament or nerve was irritated. Hopefully, the Ledum will address it!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply