Question Details
Hind End Weakness In A Dog
by pindvm - April 29, 2021    View Case Report
I have been seeing Spirit a 130# 7y old for progressive hind limb ataxia (started 11/2018) and CP deficits since Dec 2020. He has a history of IBD (controlled with diet), was neutered in Sept 2020 for testicular cancer (seminoma). His tongue was pale but is getting slowly redder. It is still thin and small. Pulses have progressed from couldn’t find to sl tight weaker on L strengthened by SP6 and St 36. He has gotten hotter with the warmer weather. He has been on Bu Zhong Yi Qi wan and Hind quarter weakness since Dec 2020. He can now climb stairs though he is still weak in the hind end and has a hypermetric gait. Am considering switching him to Benefits Hips and Knees and ? I think he still needs a Spleen tonic but need something cooler. Suggestions?
Replies
by pindvm
April 30, 2021
Owner just texted he also had Soft stool two days ago and an intermittent hacking cough. Information dribbles in around here:-) I see him next week.
by naturevet
April 30, 2021
Hi there,

Since you've made progress with tonification, we should probably build on that rather than change gears. One thing you haven't addressed yet is Wind invasion (of the Tai Yang channels) causing intervertebral disc disease or stenosis, leading in turn to the hypermetria by causing an upper motor neuron lesion.

Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang leaps to mind, given the slow success of the Kidney tonic, but if you would like more Spleen support, then Yi Yi Ren Tang (NPHC) is perhaps a better choice. It addresses Spleen and Kidney deficiency, but Damp Heat as well, while expelling a Wind pathogen. In a large dog with very weak pulses, it is my first choice.

XCHT/BH&K would normally be indicated by a full pulse, and is better suited to CCL tears, hip dysplasia or sacroiliac dysfunction. It might not be a good fit here, given everything else you've noted.

Also ensure the dog gets a chiropractic evaluation. They really are mandatory in any UMN lesions, as they can take pressure off the cord immediately, producing prompt gains in mobility. Look for an improvement in 48 hours if it's going to help. If it does, let the owner know it should be a regular thing. Continued use of YYRT should slowly reduce the required frequency of treatments

Hope that helps!

Steve
by pindvm
May 5, 2021
I haven’t gotten the hang of connecting these yet. Could you link this to my case In case reports? It has all the updates.
by naturevet
May 6, 2021
Hi there,

It's now connected. Please use the forum to ask questions and the case links to make your updates

Cheers

S
by pindvm
August 15, 2021
I’ve been out for a few months and haven’t seen Spirit but just got a text and he’s starting to lose his voice a little. He tested negative for LPPN 1-3 but 50% of Leonberger with LP test negative. Wondering if all the Neuro signs just showed up before the LP (that hasn’t been confirmed yet). Anyway, he did fairly well all summer. Willing to walk up and down stairs on his own most of the time. Still mild hind limb ataxia and trouble getting up. Hot at night and cool seeking. Worse in the heat. Coat is damp around head and neck. Dry farther back. UA was WNL but ALT was 211. B12 runs low. Started on VetriScience Bone stick Liver supplements to support his liver. He is still on Hindquarter weakness and Free the Sinews. May add in Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan for the heat at night.

Are there any treatment you like for these autoimmune Neurologic disorders? Apparently there is progressive nerve demyelination. He is on a good raw food diet - Big Dog Natural turkey. May switch that to beef or fish.

Thanks
by pindvm
August 15, 2021
I’ve been out for a few months and haven’t seen Spirit but just got a text and he’s starting to lose his voice a little. He tested negative for LPPN 1-3 but 50% of Leonberger with LP test negative. Wondering if all the Neuro signs just showed up before the LP (that hasn’t been confirmed yet). Anyway, he did fairly well all summer. Willing to walk up and down stairs on his own most of the time. Still mild hind limb ataxia and trouble getting up. Hot at night and cool seeking. Worse in the heat. Coat is damp around head and neck. Dry farther back. UA was WNL but ALT was 211. B12 runs low. Started on VetriScience Bone stick Liver supplements to support his liver. He is still on Hindquarter weakness and Free the Sinews. May add in Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan for the heat at night.

Are there any treatment you like for these autoimmune Neurologic disorders? Apparently there is progressive nerve demyelination. He is on a good raw food diet - Big Dog Natural turkey. May switch that to beef or fish.

Thanks
by pindvm
August 15, 2021

Thanks
by pindvm
August 15, 2021

Thanks
by pindvm
August 17, 2021
Sorry I did not send that 4 times :-(
by naturevet
August 19, 2021
Hi there,

I guess my thought is that if he is starting to be a little off balance lately, there may be a Shao Yang aspect to this. There often is, where nerve damage is involved. You've been treating the Tai Yang, which includes the outer and dorsal aspects of the body. The Shao Yang is the next layer in, and is often the layer involved in neurological disease. Affected patients can often be somewhat heat intolerant at this time of year and are prone to autoimmune disease.

To test the idea out, you can just add Xiao Chai Hu Tang in with the other two formulas; or you can tryt just one formula by making yourself a batch of Chai Hu Gui Zhi Tang, by adding 12g of Chai Hu and 15g of Bai Shao to 100g of XCHT. It should help with the LP as well

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply