Question Details
Anal Sac Carcinoma In A Dog
by jk176 - May 7, 2021    View Case Report
Ecco is an approximately 10 year old Labmix with a history of atrial fibrillation, myxomatous valvular disease stage B1, stifle djd, dental disease, a few lipomas and mildly elevated ALT and ALP, and lick granulomas on his hind feet.

He was recently diagnosed with a small right sided anal sac carcinoma.
An abdominal ultrasound was performed and was unremarkable.

He has had multiple episodes of soft stool and occasional vomiting.
Current meds: tylan powder and Vetmedin.
He was recently prescribed ursodiol but it was discontinued because he stool became softer on this medication.

He is a very sweet, friendly dog. He goes for mile long walks with his owner every day. His appetite and energy are good. He has no temperature preference and a normal thirst.
His diet is Nutro Adult chicken and rice large breed kibble.
His tongue is pink to sl. pale pink and moist. His pulse is toned, moderate with an abnormal rhythm. At his last visit his heart rate was 128. His ears are slightly cool, his feet and body and head are neutral.

I think Liu Jun Zi Tang and Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang would be good choices for him, but I am concerned about causing GI upset - would the first formula help prevent diarrhea from the second formula? Or are there other formulas you recommend?

I recommended milk thistle.

I would also like to change his diet.

Thank you,
Jennifer
Replies
by naturevet
May 10, 2021
Hi there,

I like your idea of Modified Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang to address the tumor. It should also help with his heart, pulse irregularities, and the lick granulomas.

Regarding how to avoid 'Dampness' from the formula, causing diarrhea and more vomiting, you could try Liu Jun Zi Tang, which might also help quell the atrial fibrillation. Another option, though, if Tylan has proven very helpful, is to use San Ren Tang to keep the GI stable. I've used it with XFZYT before. SRT may be better than LJZT since it is more cooling. If the dog is Tylan-dependent, that suggests a Heat condition in the GI calling for something like SRT. SRT is also used in China to quell Heart Fire and slow the heart rate.

Of course, if you change the dog to a real food diet, that alone might take care of the GI Dampness tendencies, allowing you to focus on LJZT + XFZYT

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply