Question Details
Weight Loss In A Cat
by CorinneC - June 10, 2021    View Case Report
Tyrone is my own cat, a 7yo MN orange tabby that developed chylothorax in July 2019. I managed it well with thoracocentesis, mod XFZYT and XCHT until this last Feb. he had really gone off the XCHT so I’d stopped in for a couple months. His tongue was pale and his pulses no longer fit so I agreed with him :)

In Feb he became really tachypneic so I tapped his chest and it came back red! The pathologist was undecided on cancer vs mesothelial inflammation. Ultrasound stil shows a pretty happy heart. He lost a lot of weight and I really struggled with his appetite but he rallied and is not eating well and seems content. However, he’s still so skinny. His tongue seems to still be palish, pulses deficient so I’ve kept him just on mod XFZYT for now. Wondering if you have any other thoughts? I did add SWT in recently to tonify Blood even more. His stools are normal but he is slightly pu/pd. Bloodwork continues to come back WNL.
Replies
by CorinneC
June 11, 2021
Sorry just want to edit that he IS now eating well! Says “not”, meant to be “now” :)
by naturevet
June 14, 2021
Morning, Corinne!

One thing that springs to mind is Bu Yang Huan Wu Tang. It is a Blood mover like XFZYT, but also a hemostatic. It's also arguably a stronger Blood tonic, due to its content of Huang Qi (Astragalus), which is also a Spleen tonic and might support Tyrone's appetite and ability to assimilate.

I guess the other thought is to make a move to get him back on XCHT. The aggravation during February sure fits that. If Tyrone is reluctant to eat the granules, try using a homeopathic version instead.

If you've never done that, it's easy. Get the Kan Essentials version (Harmonize the Qi). Take about 0.5 ml of tincture and dissolve it in 50 ml of spring water. Succuss the bottle by striking it against a resilient surface (e.g. phone book) a couple of hundred times. Think about the most annoying person in your life as you pound and you'll be done in no time! After that, keep it in the fridge. Succuss it about ten times on the palm of your hand before drawing up each dose. I'd go with a half to 1 ml twice daily

Hopefully those ideas help you out! Let us know how it goes!

Steve
by CorinneC
June 15, 2021
Ok, I have started him back on Xiao Chai Hu Tang. He doesn’t love it but he’s eating. I agree he has always fit with shaoYang disharmony. I will keep you posted!
by CorinneC
June 15, 2021
Ok, I have started him back on Xiao Chai Hu Tang. He doesn’t love it but he’s eating. I agree he has always fit with shaoYang disharmony. I will keep you posted!
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply