Question Details
Epilepsy In A Dog
by JLoCh - June 23, 2021    View Case Report
Hi Missy is a 4kg female spayed 9.5 yo Chihuahua. She has been maintained on Phenobarbitone for many years to control epilepsy.
Recently she has been introduced to cbd oil and has been on an increasing dose regime of cbd whilst reducing Phenobarbitone dose. She was on 10mg Phenobarbitone BID and started on 1 drop BID. Her current regime is 7 drops of CBD (500mg/30ml) TID and 2.5mg Phenobarbitone BID.
Fireworks night is looming (1st July in NT) and she suffers from severe anxiety during this event (it can feel like a war zone at time!!). In the past she has had a double dose of Phenobarbitone and that has worked well. Last year COVID resulted in Fireworks night being cancelled but this year it is back and probably with great enthusiasm by many MOPs. I was thinking I could increase her Phenobarbitone dose to 7.5mg and give it 3 hours earlier than the usual evening dose but I'm not sure and I was hoping someone would have experience with this.
Thank you
Jodie
Replies
by naturevet
June 23, 2021
Hi Jodie,

I've seen higher doses of phenobarbital used for brief periods with no issues. I guess the only question is whether you'd see the calming effect you're hoping for, but I don't anticipate any nasty interaction between the CBD and the phenobarbital, if that's what you're worried about.

Hope that helps

Steve
by JLoCh
June 23, 2021
Hi Steve
Yes I am worried about possible adverse interactions between cbd and phenobarbitone and whether or not I need to be extra careful with Phenobarbitone dosing.

Thank you
Jodie
by naturevet
June 26, 2021
Hi Jodie,

I think it is safe to try higher doses of phenobarbital while maintaining the CBD dose

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply