Question Details
Pseudopregnancyy In A Dog
by CorinneC - July 9, 2021    View Case Report
Silva is a 10yo F (OSS) Vizsla that I’ve been seeing for 3years for benign mammary nodules. The nodules persist no matter what I do. However this past year she did not go into heat until finally in May 2021. She bagged up heavily with milk letdown, lost a bit of weight. All else was very normal - appetite, energy, mobility, personality. She is silly and firey. When I saw her in May her tongue was lavender-pink, sl thin, subtle white phlegm strands. Pulses we’re decently toned, although a little less than usual. I could not detect any active points for the life of me but she is so silly and moves constantly! I diagnosed her with Liver Qi stagnation and Blood Stasis, Phlegm obstructing the channels, Wind Damp Invasion and started her on Xiao Yao San and Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin.

As of end of June her mammary glands shrank up a bit only. I am seeing her again to discuss hormones. She has one retained ovary and I could not convince the o to do anything else as per breeder. I ran a blood panel and all WNL.

Please help!!! And thank you!!!
Replies
by naturevet
July 12, 2021
Hi Corinne,

Since ice packs can reduce mammary blood flow and stop milk production, using a formula with a peripheral ice pack effect should be able to do the same thing, such as Si Miao San. From a biomedical perspective, Atractylodes inhibits progestogenic activity and is abundant in Si Miao San, so it's one more reason to try it. The reduction of tone in the pulse can indicate increasing slipperiness, and thus Damp, which SMS treats. The 'bagging up' occurred over the early to mid-summer months, which is when Damp is most prevalent.

For all those reasons, I'd be tempted to give SMS a try

Steve
by CorinneC
July 12, 2021
Thank you Steve. I saw Silva again on Saturday morning and her tongue was normal looking and her pulses were well toned (not taut or slippery). Her mammary glands were now just packed with the firm nodules she’s had for awhile and no longer with milk. She was her usual silly firey self wiggling all over the room. Her energy, appetite, and stools have been consistent throughout and she has always been on a raw diet (Carnivora) from the start. I felt that she was sensitive to GB34 and BL22. I decided to treat her as a Shaoyang disharmony thinking that these delayed heats and pseudo pregnancies may be secondary to a triple burner obstruction. I hope I’m not on the wrong track with this as she is clearly NOT low energy or declining in any other way?

Obviously if XCHT backfires I will know pretty quickly and then can try the SMS. She just didn’t appear Damp to me at all.
by CorinneC
July 12, 2021
Thank you Steve. I saw Silva again on Saturday morning and her tongue was normal looking and her pulses were well toned (not taut or slippery). Her mammary glands were now just packed with the firm nodules she’s had for awhile and no longer with milk. She was her usual silly firey self wiggling all over the room. Her energy, appetite, and stools have been consistent throughout and she has always been on a raw diet (Carnivora) from the start. I felt that she was sensitive to GB34 and BL22. I decided to treat her as a Shaoyang disharmony thinking that these delayed heats and pseudo pregnancies may be secondary to a triple burner obstruction. I hope I’m not on the wrong track with this as she is clearly NOT low energy or declining in any other way?

Obviously if XCHT backfires I will know pretty quickly and then can try the SMS. She just didn’t appear Damp to me at all.
by naturevet
July 12, 2021
Sounds good. Scutellaria also inhibits progestogenic effects

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply