Question Details
Squamous Cell Carcinoma In A Cat
by CIVTdvm - July 25, 2021    View Case Report
Mac
*this is my colleague’s cat – still waiting on the tongue/pulse diagnosis
12 yr old, N,M DMH
Dx: oral squamous cell carcinoma
Recent dental with 4 canines removed and a few FORLs; questionable tissue was biopsied at the time leading to this diagnosis (it was unexpected)
Current medications/supplements:
- Hypericum + arnica BID (30C) homeopathics
- Plan is to start Silicea (LM) and mushroom complex soon
Diet – Tollden farms Raw, varied proteins; appetite is excellent, no pu/pd

Previous/full history:
- Daily vomiting grass before a meal (after going outside) = rebellious ST Qi and/or Lu Qi deficiency (not descending) and/or ST Heat/food stasis
- Hairballs every few weeks - Lu Qi deficiency (not descending)
- No temperature preference
- Very affectionate, historically overweight = EARTH type
- Stools borderline constipation (occ pallor to them[Blood deficiency?]) – yin Qi deficiency
- Dental disease (FORLs) – damp heat
- SCC – blood stasis
- Skin/haircoat is perfect; does overgroom though
Textbook recommendations are SMS + XFHMY +/- addition of Hoxsey-Like Formula….however, I am leaning towards Hoxsey-Like Formula ONLY since there are no dermatitis concerns and no overt heat signs (less likely to use SMS for this case, still may be a good idea to add XFHMY too…) although the SMS may be good for the gastritis (morning vomiting) but would typically consider more of SRT for this patient for that purpose and not sure if that is the focus at this time…

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Christiane
Replies
by naturevet
July 29, 2021
Hi Christiane

I thought of San Ren Tang, too, as a base formula for the cat's apparently Damp constitution, paired with Hoxsey for the tumor. It's odd, though, for an animal to become Damp on raw. If that diet has been fed long term, we may need to think of something else, unless it is a very high fat diet.

If a high fat diet is not the case, the cat may have a Shao Yang issue. It can produce the same gastric 'Phlegm' issues that cause the eating of grass followed by vomiting. Last year an article in the American J of Cancer Research found a connection between gut flora and squamous cell carcinoma. Raw diets can wipe out certain species from the gut (i.e., those that are reliant on carbs like Lactobacillus). Minor Bupleurum, the treatment for Shao Yang disharmony, appears to have a correcting effect on gut dysbiosis, based on multiple studies. Meanwhile, Minor Bupleurum is broadly anti-cancer in its own right.

A couple of other studies have shown Curcumin to be effective against SCC, so you could use something like Open the Liver Canals (Kan) to get both of these effects. If this approach is likely to be helpful, you may find the cat has active GB points, and that needling them or pressing on them moderates its pulse. If so, that is the way I would go

Hope that helps!

Steve

P.S. You could use all three formulas together if you just didn't know. They are all compatible.
by CIVTdvm
July 29, 2021
Great, thank you so much Steve - I will keep you posted!
by CIVTdvm
July 31, 2021
Hi again Steve,
My colleague sent me this updated information:
"Mac has a moist pink tongue with no scallops and he had heavy calculus and root resorption but the gingivitis was not horrible. His pulse is hard to find but seems quite superficial and weak/thready."
She is starting on curcumin and Hoxsey for now. To me this seems like a mild heat case from this new information instead of severe heat and dampness, therefore SRT likely adequate (instead of SMS here); but the SCC is still a sign of Blood Stasis - so would you recommend adding both XFHMY + SRT along with curcumin and Hoxsey. Is the target goal full dose? 1/4 tsp granular extract BID? (slowly titrating up?)
Thanks in advance!
Thanks in advance.
by CIVTdvm
July 31, 2021
Also - should Hoxsey-like formula be the liquid version or granular extract - your recommendations say liquid but not sure if this is for all patients or just felines. Please let me know :)
by naturevet
July 31, 2021
Hi there

I would start with the San Ren Tang, yes.

For Hoxsey, I generally use liquid in all species. If palatability is an issue then it can be diluted in something the cat likes. Fatty things work well. Even homeopathic versions may work.

Hoxsey addresses Stasis, so I'd try that protocol for now, let the cat have a chance to respond, and go from there

Hope that helps!

Steve
by CIVTdvm
August 17, 2021
Great thank you so much Steve!
by CIVTdvm
August 17, 2021
Great thank you so much Steve!
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply