Question Details
Coprophagia In A Dog
by Kumiko - August 14, 2021    View Case Report
Hi Steve,

I have a 1-year-old FN Labradoodle who has had three foreign body surgery (socks and balls) and also has a habit of coprophagia. She is not aggressive but bites when she is too excited.

Training with dog trainers did not make much difference, and her owner is exhausted and now seeking a holistic approach.

Her tongue is lavender with a red tip and some fine lines laterally (Qi Stagnation, Heart Yin Deficiency, Blood Deficiency). The pulse is strong (Excess pattern). She had no active points.

My choice is Xiao Yao San to resolve Liver Qi Stagnation, tonify Blood and support Spleen, but it does not cover Heart Yin Deficiency.

Do you have any other recommendations for her?

Thanks for your time!

Warm regards,
Kumiko
Replies
by naturevet
August 19, 2021
Hi Kumiko

The red tip may reflect Heart Fire of any type, not necessarily just Yin deficiency. One cause of Heart Fire that is associated with Stasis is Shao Yang disharmony. Yang may not be traveling easily in and out of the dog, creating a predisposition to Stomach Fire, Heart Fire, agitation and a strong pulse (indicating how the Yang is trapped and not moving easily). The faltering movement of Yang is due to a kind of Stasis in the Shao Yang layers of the body, which can manifest as a purple tongue.

Assuming you agree, then Xiao Chai Hu Tang might be a better place to start. You'll see it has some of the same ingredients as Xiao Yao San, but is more geared to excess presentations and Heat in the upper burner (i.e., the Heart).

Hopefully it helps!

Steve
by Kumiko
August 28, 2021
Thanks for your help Steve!

We have started herbs and acupuncture. I will update how she goes :)
Kumiko
by Kumiko
August 28, 2021
Thanks for your help Steve!

We have started herbs and acupuncture. I will update how she goes :)
Kumiko
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply